The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Heading out as soon as i drop my son off at school. Hoping to find something other than a yearling today. I took off all this week and figures it would be calling for rain 4 out of the 6 days ugh. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Balmy 14 degrees here this morning. Heading home from work now and will be out for a couple hours a little bit later.

HL- congrats on the handgun deer!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Doe down. 25yd shot with 44 mag Super Redhawk with hardcast bullet. Took a long jump n dropped!
Thanks for the congrats guys. Im really digging handgun hunting. Killed a doe Tuesday with the 454 Super Redhawk at 60 yds open sights and this morning with the 44 Super Redhawk at 27 with open sights. Was using Fusion bullets in the 454, hit right behind shoulder and left an exit hole I could almost put my fist in after it turned both lungs to mush. Today the hardcast from the 44 did 20191212_073833_1576180848681.jpg a nice pass through. Hit a bit low and went through upper leg/shoulder and both lungs and believe it clipped heart and exited through far upper leg. Pic is of todays doe.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Out for a couple hours midday. Things were still really crunchy making still hunting useless. A beautiful day for a walk in the woods none the less. Saw an unidentified deer and a coon that was making siren noises (?).

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Very chilly this morning, turned into a really nice afternoon. So I haven't seen a single deer. First time this season without at least a sub legal buck or something. But, still a little more than an hour left 🙂

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sat from 0530-1000. Brutally cold. I saw one deer at around 130yds. My rifle was against a tree next to me, I grabbed it, scoped him and poof, vanished. Body was really big, didn't see antlers in the 2.2 seconds I had eyes on him or maybe her....

I hiked up to an awesome bench, took me a solid hour. Above the bench was a finger that ran laterally with the bench. It was narrow, maybe 15' wide and had some mature oaks. There were saplings that ran the side of the finer and almost all of them were rubbed. I found multiple beds, a ton of droppings, and tracks everywhere. I discovered this area last year and I know for certain no one is hunting it. I need to figure out how to hit it during archery. The biggest challenge is going to be getting up there and not being soaked, even wearing UA compression heat gear during October will have me soaked well before I can get up to the spot.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I still hunted towards a buddy for a couple of hours today. Didn't see any, but saw lots of fresh tracks. Heard 7 shots.

Going to try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
This afternoon's hunt brought down the curtain for the season for my dad and I. He was already done with an archery buck and a nice doe this past Saturday. I was still looking for a doe and we save our doe licenses specifically for rifle season because that is our favorite of the deer seasons. Today we sat in the same stand where he got his doe on Saturday. I got off work around 1pm today and we were in the stand by 2:30pm. About an hour in my dad spotted a deer. We watched it for a bit and I looked it over to discover that it was a pretty small one so we let it go. 20 minutes after that a deer went running up across the one field that we could see and we never did get a good look at it. Around 4:30 a flock of turkeys came out of the woods and began feeding in the harvested corn field that we were set up on. There were 15 of them and we were so engrossed in watching them that two nice does slipped up within 15 yards of us before we heard them. I actually had to wait for them to get out from the stand before I could see them over the shooting rail. I had a quartering away shot at 30 yards and was using my dad's 7mm-08. At the shot, she did the classic hind leg kick of a vital shot deer. Went about 10 yards and fell over. I had about a 350 yard drag all uphill to the truck. My F-250 sits pretty high and I had a bit of a chore loading her up in there. I am sitting on the heating pad as I type.
So I finished the year with a 10 point buck from archery season, my doe, and a very hard earned fall gobbler from nearly the end of the season that is likely the nicest one that I've ever gotten. Pretty good year for us but we are both ready to be done and spend some more time with the family for the holidays. Good luck to all who are still after them.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hunting almost all day, seen 3 doe going mach 10 for some reason, nobody was out hunting but maybe a yote or something spooked them and saw the fattest opossum i have ever seen. Found a spot that i am going to try tomorrow on the mountain. A nice bench with plenty of sign but man its a hike the whole way up there.. Good luck to those going out tomorrow.

·
Registered
965 Posts
This afternoon's hunt brought down the curtain for the season for my dad and I. He was already done with an archery buck and a nice doe this past Saturday. I was still looking for a doe and we save our doe licenses specifically for rifle season because that is our favorite of the deer seasons. Today we sat in the same stand where he got his doe on Saturday. I got off work around 1pm today and we were in the stand by 2:30pm. About an hour in my dad spotted a deer. We watched it for a bit and I looked it over to discover that it was a pretty small one so we let it go. 20 minutes after that a deer went running up across the one field that we could see and we never did get a good look at it. Around 4:30 a flock of turkeys came out of the woods and began feeding in the harvested corn field that we were set up on. There were 15 of them and we were so engrossed in watching them that two nice does slipped up within 15 yards of us before we heard them. I actually had to wait for them to get out from the stand before I could see them over the shooting rail. I had a quartering away shot at 30 yards and was using my dad's 7mm-08. At the shot, she did the classic hind leg kick of a vital shot deer. Went about 10 yards and fell over. I had about a 350 yard drag all uphill to the truck. My F-250 sits pretty high and I had a bit of a chore loading her up in there. I am sitting on the heating pad as I type.
So I finished the year with a 10 point buck from archery season, my doe, and a very hard earned fall gobbler from nearly the end of the season that is likely the nicest one that I've ever gotten. Pretty good year for us but we are both ready to be done and spend some more time with the family for the holidays. Good luck to all who are still after them.
Congrats on a great season! Good to know your Dad is still chasing them with you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts