The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever hear of them. HE is from Ligonier,Pa. My dad just gave me one and it seems to be rather old.retail price on it was $1.95. it looks it it has never been used and is in good shape.just curious if anyone heard of or ever used one. thanks

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Yes I have one for many years, they are okay and will call in birds.If you are thinking of selling it you will only get what someone is looking to pay.They are not worth much unless you hit the right person on a good day.
One of his box calks with the box has been on eBay for days with a $75.00 start and no takers.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Davy Bracken is deceased, and with most artists of ANY type, their items tend to be a little more collectable as the years go by. Davy made various types of callers, boxes, scratch boxes and also a glass/slate combo pot call. The boxes are somewhat common , both in style and collectability and are quite big in size, but very effective I'm told, I have never hunted the one I have so I cant offer up any first hand knowledge. His scratch boxes and pot calls are very collectible, I have a scratchbox still in the plastic and cardboard container, never opened, and last year, one of his pot calls came up for sale on ebay, and I just plum got outbid on it. The new owner has it listed now on his website - ebay store for $ 150.00. you can find it rather easily by doing a search on ebay for Davy bracken turkey calls, or PM me for details. A lot of times, the true value in these older calls isn't monetary, its the interest and conversations created by turkey hunters seeking info. AT the very least, its an item that has been passed from one generation to the next, and I'd say that makes it VERY collectible to atleast ONE PERSON !! George Denkas' book on turkey calls has the box call listed as a medium + collectability with an average price of KNOWN sales to be $49.00, but take into account, that book was published in 2009, more sales since then could have raised OR lowered that figure !! Hope this helped , Lonnie

·
Registered
470 Posts
OF another note, I should have mentioned that the slate call was square in shape, not rounded like so many of todays style, and it used the square peg style striker like the Lynch "JET" calls.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks that is every helpful.The one i got is a two piece wooden scratch call with the paper work and plastic water proof case.It might be consider a box call.will try to post a pic.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
my uncle made calls for davy bracken. he had a small cabinet business in ligonier valley and did it for many years. you may have one he made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts