The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephews birthday is coming up and I am thinking about buying a Davey Cricket 22 for him. He'll be 5 or 6 this year. He is kind of small. I have a youth model Marlin 15 but it is to big for him. My cousin had a Davey Cricket and I recall it being considerably smaller than my Marlin. My cousin sold his years ago. I don't recall hearing any complaints about it. He just didn't need it anymore. What's your experience with these rifles?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I got my daughter one about two years ago when she was 5. She absolutely loves it and it fits her perfectly. She's a petite little girl.

My suggestion would be to get the accessories for it also, scope, rail, sling, soft case, and an eye patch to learn to shoot with the dominant eye.

She shoots hers like a pro.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, that's what I'll probably get him than. They look affordable as well. I'll start looking around for them. Taking him fishing and shooting revives my interest in doing those things.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Don't know where you're at in the Poconos but Piestraks in Nanticoke has them. That's where I got mine. Then I got the rest of my stuff on Amazon.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in Wayne Co. I'll find one. I have a few months until his Bday. I am just planning ahead.

·
Registered
21,016 Posts
I bought my son one when he was 6.It shot fine but I hated loading it for him.After a few months,I bought him a youth marlin with a clip.It had the same length of pull,cost about the same,had a much nicer trigger and was way more convenient to shoot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dce said:
I bought my son one when he was 6.It shot fine but I hated loading it for him.After a few months,I bought him a youth marlin with a clip.It had the same length of pull,cost about the same,had a much nicer trigger and was way more convenient to shoot.
I already have a Marlin model 15 single shot. I have the model 25 N as well which is basically the adult version with a clip. I guess I'll look around and see what's out there.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I don't know much about the Marlin but I got a Cricket for my niece and I'm very pleased with it and how she shoots it I also think the Cricket scope is a must buy

·
Registered
574 Posts
That's a good price. I paid a little more for my daughter's because I wanted to get her the pink camo. I think her's was around $135 if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
241 Posts
When my boys were 6 and 8 I looked at both the cricket and Henry mini-bolt. I bought the Henry. Boys have moved up and now it's the girls rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts