The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing some reading on the David Tubbs Final Finish System that is used to basically "lap" your barrel. Anyone ever use it or something similar? What were your results?

I'm really looking at this as a way to help making cleaning my barrel easier, on top of any improvements in accuracy it might provide.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Adam i've heard nothing but good things about the dave tubbs final finish system and i for one will be making this purchase for my next new barrel which may be a cabin fever project this upcoming winter.

if you get the kit before me let us know what your findings are and i'll do likewise if i get it first

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I don't like is that it appears you have to load your own if you guy the $35 kit to break in the barrel. There is another kit that is made up of actual rounds, but its only got about half as many rounds in it and it's twice as expensive. Which I guess I'm more apt to spend $35 and load them myself then to drop more $ on the cartridges.

Sounds like a plan though Vapor Mist.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't think I'd run abrasive bullets down the bore of my rifle unless it was a terrible fowler and as a last resort. There is another product called Ultra-Bore Coat which actually coats you're bore and helps with fowling. I might try that first or find a gunsmith that will hand lap your barrel with a lead slug.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've used them with good results in my ar15 with 18" ss white oaks spr barrel. the important thing is to take your time, dont rush it, dont skimp on the cleaning, and did i mention take your time? It's a 50 shot process with cleaning routines after each round of 10.

pros:
will reduce copper fouling
you will notice a more consistent feel when running patches
you're barrel will be more consistent (less fliers, more shots between cleanings, less variation between clean and dirty)

cons:
you will most likely need to rework your pet loads
if you use all 5 "grits" you will lengthen your jump to the lands
plan at least one entire afternoon to get through the process

^^^ these were my results, your mileage may vary ^^^

though i will say i had a buddy use the kit on his savage 270wsm, and his results mirrored mine. he had a much more drastic reduction in fouling as his wsm would copper up after only a few rounds before the kit. he'll sit down and shoot a box of 20 between cleanings now.

im very happy with the results on my barrel and am planning to use them on at least one of my bolt guns. if you have a non-hand lapped, non match barrel, i dont think you'd risk much as long as you follow the directions.

if you have a high end barrel to begin with, thats shooting well and not fouling, then don't fix what isn't broke.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Be careful. A good smith will tell you---don't fix what ain't broken.

Make sure you have a barrel problem before you put abrasives into your barrel.

And if you have a problem then why not just lap the barrel with a good lapping compound and some brushes?? It will cost less, and take less time. It is simply a larger band-aid being put on a smaller cut.

The main time to use the kit is when you have a barrel that has differing diameters. Or a barrel that is smaller at the chamber than at the muzzle. Then you need to remove some material. And coated bullets will even that out very well.

But just for smoothing out a barrel?? No. It is jut using a sledge hammer for a problem that requires a finishing hammer. Lap that barrel first. Tom.

·
Registered
594 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
Be careful. A good smith will tell you---don't fix what ain't broken.

Make sure you have a barrel problem before you put abrasives into your barrel.

And if you have a problem then why not just lap the barrel with a good lapping compound and some brushes?? It will cost less, and take less time. It is simply a larger band-aid being put on a smaller cut.

The main time to use the kit is when you have a barrel that has differing diameters. Or a barrel that is smaller at the chamber than at the muzzle. Then you need to remove some material. And coated bullets will even that out very well.

But just for smoothing out a barrel?? No. It is jut using a sledge hammer for a problem that requires a finishing hammer. Lap that barrel first. Tom.

couldnt of said it better myself!!

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does "lengthen your jump to the lands" mean?

HH, I've never heard of any lapping compound? Can you recommend some?

I'm mainly doing this to make cleaning the barrel easier, I shoot all copper Barnes rounds currently so I get a fair amount of copper buildup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Adam said:
What does "lengthen your jump to the lands" mean?

Thanks!
A picture speaks a thousand words...

Not one of my better casts, but you should get the idea. The area in the chamber from the end of case mouth to the start of the angled lines, the lands, is the "length" of the freebore, a portion of the chamber a few thousandths larger than the bullet diameter. Depending on the bullet and it seating depth it establishes the "jump" to the lands. A bullet can be seated X number of thousandth off, on or into the lands. In other words how far the bullet travels until it contacts the bore.

Lengthening the jump means from use(shooting), cleaning or in the case of the Final Finish the edges of the lands (lead) are or can be worn forward increasing the distance a bullet needs to travel to engage the bore.

The amount of freebore (jump) depends on the reamer used to chamber the barrel, its a fixed dimension of that reamer. At times someone may spec a "Zero" freebore chambering reamer and use a separate throating reamer to adjust the freebore length for a particular bullet/twist rate combination. The primary goal there is the ability to seat a bullet to reach the lands without protruding into the shoulder portion of the cartridge.

Clear as mud now, right!

Bill

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, yeah! Thanks Bill!

Thanks to you too HH, I'll look into the Bore Paste.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts