The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my daughter was born, I had great visions of being able to take her hunting with me and teaching her the outdoor lifestyle. She is 11 now but up until age 9, that dream of her hunting with me was just that, a dream. There was no interest and other activities kept her busy. Well, last year i asked her if she wanted to try spring turkey hunting. She had a nice 20 ga that she was shooting well. To my surprise, she said yes, that she wanted to try it. We were oh so close on a couple of birds. One in particular we spotted across a field 500 yards away. I gave her the turkey call and every time she called, he answered. Even though he was with hens, they all came across that field. The hens came right in, but he bailed after going in a dip in the field and was never seen again. Disappointment, but I think she was hooked!
This summer, she asked about going deer hunting, to my surprise. At this point she just wanted to rifle hunt. I gave her the .243 that I started hunting with and by the end of summer she shooting some really good groups. In the meantime, we were also shooting the crossbow in the backyard. She was really proficient out to 40 yards with it.
Mid September, she expressed interest in going up to camp with me archery hunting. Boy was I excited to hear that. We shot a couple arrows everyday after school and we were ready.
Opening day, we had a great hunt with a wide range of emotions. We had a buck come in but only gave her a split second to make a shoot/no shoot decision before turning around and leaving. She didn't shoot and I was proud of her for that even though I could tell she was upset. An hour later, a big doe presented a nice broadside shot at 25 yards. She shot right over her back. Disappointment again.
This saturday, I was supposed to fish a bass tournament, but she asked if we could go back up to camp and try again. This was a no brainer, back up to camp we went. With the wind the way it was, we set up on the ground hoping the buck from previous weekend would stick to his same pattern. We got in at 1:00 and didn't see a deer till finally at 6:00, he showed up exactly where he came out the weekend before. It was 40 yards. She knew what crosshair to use. We had previously talked about following thru after the shot. At the shot, I saw the lighted nock hit him just behind the shoulder and heard that thwack of arrow hitting deer. We gave it 15 minutes and then we were going to just go to where deer was standing to look around however after standing up, I could see the unmistakable white belly laying 20 yards behind where he was standing. She told me how she saw the arrow hit him right behind the shoulder while looking thru the scope. Perfect! A nice 7 point!
Sorry for the long read. Still on cloud 9!

·
Super Moderator
3,796 Posts
Outstanding, congrats to both of you!

Reactions: delphic93

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Congratulations to you both, and beware because that fantastic smile might indicate that future hunting exploits just might trigger a twinge of competitiveness ahead! That is indeed the look of a serious hunting partner in your future, Dad. Best wishes to you and your daughter for all those hunts in th years to come.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Ain't nothing like it! Congrats!

Reactions: delphic93
1 - 20 of 22 Posts