The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter harvested her first turkey this morning. We have come close the last few mornings but today was the day that it all came together. We heard numerous birds from the roost this morning but they all got quiet once they hit the ground. We left the blind and went on a walk toward where we last heard them but nothing would answer. I then took her to another blind to spend the rest of the morning. I set the decoys out and we got settled in. I made a few calls on my glass call and thought I heard a gobble but we were hunting near an active quarry so hearing at times can be difficult from this spot. It wasn’t long and out of the corner of the blind I see three long beards heading towards the decoys. The last bird was lagging a little behind and she had a clear shot so she took it. Bird went down immediately and she couldn’t be happier. 9 3/8” beard 1 1/8” spurs and weighed 24 lbs. I bought her a new Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge right before the youth season and it did great. I couldn’t be happier for her. She has gone out every morning so far this season even before school except for one because I was working. She makes me proud!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,861 Posts
Outstanding, congrats to both of you!

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
The smile says it all. Congrats on the bird and on working hard to get it!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all. She is only ten and it has been so much fun mentoring her. The smile on her face yesterday made my season.

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
Nice Gobbler! Even more impressive only missing one day! Getting up every morning gets tough after a while. I know lots of good Turkey hunters that would have needed to sleep in more then once in that time period.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all. She loves to go. She even got up and went with me a few times when she was off from school. The one morning we got to see a coyote which was a neat experience to share with her. I wish it had come a little closer. She is looking forward to participating in the YHEC program when she is old enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts