The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
... One would think that eventually it would evolve around the blight. I guess the issue is that a plant has to survive and reproduce in order to evolve.
yepper! I think there was actually several years of studies about 'evolving around the blight'. They called it hypovirulence. I cant remember the details but if you google it there should be some things about the AC.

And to take it to the next step, the blight does not want to kill the tree... because the blight will then lose its host and can not exist and dies. It just wants to live in symbiosis with the tree. so the blight evolves to not be so deadly but rather just a moderate infection. (or something like that)

·
Registered
384 Posts
clermont said:
I've seen quite few American Chestnut trees in very southern Sproul, just north of Sayer's Lake. I wasn't really looking for them either. I've seen 10 or 12 on our 8 acres in Centre.
That is great! Do any of these become mature enough to produce nuts before they succumb to the blight? Have a photo or two to share?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
NorthPotter said:
clermont said:
I've seen quite few American Chestnut trees in very southern Sproul, just north of Sayer's Lake. I wasn't really looking for them either. I've seen 10 or 12 on our 8 acres in Centre.
That is great! Do any of these become mature enough to produce nuts before they
succumb to the blight? Have a photo or two to share?
The ones I've seen in Sproul haven't been too big. I'll try to get a pic this afternoon of the biggest I've seen in front of camp. I have seen fruit bearing ones in southern Schuylkill County on a game land.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
It will take them a couple days but they will digest it. See it all the time at the trout farm. A brown will eat a fish 75% of its own body size. They kill it then get it head first and digest it over a couple days.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
NorthPotter said:
clermont said:
That is great! Do any of these become mature enough to produce nuts before they succumb to the blight? Have a photo or two to share?
Here are a couple of trees. Pics aren't that good, used the phone.

·
20,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

A large old mature Chestnut at the turn of the century. Can you just image. We have NOTHING like in PA this day and age.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very nice Clermont. Those do look exactly like wild AC stump sprouters. Keep an eye on those for nuts. Would you consider releasing those by removing any nearby competing trees?

Here is one about 14" DBH @ 2200+ feet elevation.

The bears seem to get it in this AC often. See the old claw and new claw marks on this limb about 15' up.

How the bears can smell the AC just amazes me. They can pick this tree out of tens or hundreds of thousands to come and feed.

However, still not anything even close in size to its ancestors.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll try to get better pics next time. Like I said before, I've run across many smaller trees in very southern Sproul while hunting and I was not even looking for them.

North Potter, I certainly will cut out the competing growth around them. These trees are about 30 yards from our front porch.

Trout, my grandfather grew up in North Georgia in the foothills of the Appalachians in the 20's and remembered seeing some giant American Chestnuts. I just love the tree. There is a nice video on youtube about this great tree.

·
20,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I would LOVE to burn a few loads of chestnut in my woodstove. Of course from a tree like the one posted above that dies from the blight. It would be something cool for a wood burner like myself. That or make a custom AC turkey call or something.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts