The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Dandelion Wine
Dandelion wine does not require any special equipment to make. Just dandelions, some sugar and yeast, oranges and lemons, and pots to boil water in. This recipe uses cloves, which I think give it a nice touch. If you have dandelions around, give it a try!
•1 package dried yeast
•1/4 cup warm water
•2 quarts dandelion blossoms
•4 quarts water
•1 cup orange juice
•3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
•3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
•8 whole cloves
•1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
•3 tablespoons coarsely chopped orange peel
•1 tablespoon coarsely chopped lemon peel
•6 cups sugar
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Set aside.

Wash the dandelion blossoms well. Put them in the water with the orange, lemon and lime juices. Add the cloves, ginger, orange and lemon peel, and sugar. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for an hour. Strain through filter paper (coffee filters work great). Cool. While still warm (but not hot), stir in the yeast.

Let stand overnight and pour into bottles. Allow uncorked bottles to set in a darkened place for three weeks. Then cork and store bottles in a cool place. Makes about 4 quarts.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once I bottle....you are saying to not cork but to leave open for 3 weeks? What do you use to cover the bottle so dust and whatnot doesnt get in it?

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
Use cheesecloth to cover, I have left it ferment in gallon jugs, like the cheap wine comes in....

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Save your time picking all of those Dandelions. Use the above recipe and just put some yellow food coloring in it to give it color. That is all the dandelions are basically doing. If you do not have airlocks for your bottles, at least use balloons on top of them until it's done fermenting. If you cork the bottles too early, they can explode

1 - 6 of 6 Posts