The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys would like a look

Finished this sheath off today and the knife as well. Need to put some finish once it dries.

Knife is Damascus steel from Alabama Damascus, I profiled and shaped the blade, heat treated and etched. Brass bolster dove tailed into stabilized buckeye burl. Sheath veg tan with some light stamping and dyed with fieblings Mahogany.
Overall I was happy with the results

Ross

·
Registered
388 Posts
looks good Ross!
Brad Vice and his guys make some really nice steel down there to 'Bama!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am far from an expert in damascus, and I think this might be only like the 3rd blade I have made in Damascus. But if this billet is any indication it was great stuff, annealed and ready to work when it arrived I didnt measure it but looked precision ground. Heat treated just dandy and passed brass rod test no issues. Etching in ferric chloride and vinegar as they suggested worked just fine.

Do you polish yours after the etch or sand it with say 1000 grit or anything to brighten it up?

Ross

·
Registered
388 Posts
depends upon the pattern. Some I leave black /oxide color and just oil. Others I polish up and make shiney. Others I clean up with steel wool, cold blue then sand lightly with 1500 grit paper and a rubber squeegee.
When you have the etch where you want it, try boiling it in baking soda saturated water and the oxide colors will pretty much stay. ymmv

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's nice!

Thank you

Birdog,

sounds like lots of options I tried the 0000 steel wool work fine on this one and i tried some 1000 grit on the other blade I am working on not pictured. I used backing soda and some water after I rinsed
it in warm water. Did it based on what alabama had on their site. Lots of ways to skin a cat I suspect.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can even clean up with windex/window cleaner (ammonia) to kill the acid.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts