The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued an old shotgun out of my MIL's basement that was my MIL's grandfathers(parker sxs 12ga). It was rusty and was sitting bore down on the concrete. I oiled it and ran a patch through the barrel and the barrel is shiney. one of the barrels has a ding in it that can be seen on the inside. It isnt indented but you can see where the damage occured. Now this gun will never be used as a primary weapon or never be sold but I would like my kids to shoot a couple doves with this gun when they get old enough just to say the killed something with their gr gr grand fathers shotgun. And maybe they can continue it further.I fired both barrels last dove season just to see if it still worked and both barrels fired. Shoud this gun just be used single shot? I'm just not sure how much this will effect the safety of the gun. The ding about 6 inches from the bore. It has 2 trigers but is not a hammer gun so I dont think that it is real old. what are your thoughts?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Don't ask here, go to a competent gunsmith and let him examine it. If the gun is safe he can get that ding out. If it isn't safe I wouldn't use it as a single shot but that is up to yu.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Its old. The last real one was made 79 years ago. There have been reproductions made since. I would recommend a trip to a quality gunsmith for disassembly, cleaning, and evaluation. Any real Parker is worth a good chunk of change.
The dent does not hurt unless it has come through to the inside. They can easily be fixed. I think its great you want the young ones to use it. Spend a few dollars and get the old girl shooting!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and suggestions of where to take it.
It would be great if it could be used as a primary gun
it points nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts