The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my Daikon radishes and Rape in yesterday (yes, probably a little late but I'm breaking new ground). I've read many great things about them as the deer seem to love the tops of the radishes in the early fall and then move on to the radishes themselves in the winter.

The reason I chose Daikon radishes is they are also supposedly good for conditioning the soil for your spring crops.

Anyone else planting radishes?

https://www.qdma.com/radishes-for-deer/

https://www.whitetailsunlimited.com/conservation/foodplotdoc/new-variety-radishes-for-deer-food-plots.phtml/

·
Registered
376 Posts
I justed planted yesterday.
I planted ground hog forage radish along with rape,purple top turnips, australian winter peas, medium red clover, rye and oats all in 1 plot.
Next year i plan on planting them Aug 1 at the latest.

·
Registered
103 Posts
We plant them in a brassica mix of rape, turnip, and radish. We planted last week of July and they are looking good. Also,.put in some winter peas and radish this year in some of our fields with corn failure. They were put in the ground late, so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have some late seeding in this year too on a new area I been working on the property. I usually plant in July but was unable to meet that timing this year, second week of august and last week of august I got things in, we will see. I planted a brassicas blend and some left over soybean seed I got, I expect no pods from beans, just green browse by October. I try to spray in June, twice if needed, and plant in July most years.

Reactions: Buckbeast

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Curious how your plot turned out? If you had good growth the deer should be digging for the rest of the radishes at this point of the season. How about weeds, did the daikon keep your weed growth down?

Reactions: OAWC

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, just now seeing this.

The Rape grew very well, but only about 20% of what I expected in radishes seemed to come up. Like I said, breaking new ground and wasn't sure if I may not have had enough seed to soil contact as I didn't till the land (just cleared the brush, sprayed, and scratched up the ground with a York rake).

I didn't really see any weed growth after spraying.

From what did grow, the deer have kept the green pretty much munched down.
We haven't really had snow yet in Perry county, so other foods are still abundant and my radishes remain.

Hopefully an earlier start next year and actually plowing and working the soil a bit will help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts