The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next time Riley just do drug and no one will say or do a thing about it.

DA asked to turn Cooper's slur into 'teachable moment'

Joseph A. Slobodzian, Inquirer Staff Write
Thursday, August 1, 2013

Saying he and Eagles management "hope to make this a teachable moment," Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams said Thursday he has been asked to give the team a list of charities and community service programs that might benefit from wide-receiver Riley Cooper's fine or participation. Eagles management announced that Cooper, 25, will be fined after this week's release of a video showing an intoxicated Cooper using a racial epithet at a black security guard at a Kenny Chesney concert at the Lincoln Financial Field in June. Williams told reporters at his Center City office that he spoke to Eagles officials Wednesday and Thursday about coming up with a list of charities and community service groups. Williams said he did not know how much Cooper is being fined and he did not say which charities he might recommend to the Eagles.
Williams said he will also contact other city officials to work with the Eagles to do "what they can do to help him and to use this as a teachable moment not only for him but maybe for the city as a whole to deal with racism and insensitive language. "Often in my line of work," Williams added, "those are fighting words and a lot happens when people use insensitive words in volatile situations." Williams called Cooper's comments "ignorant, repulsive behavior." He also said he believed Cooper had made a sincere apology in a news conference with reporters. Williams suggested that Cooper might follow the example set by Eagles quarterback Michael Vick after his conviction on dogfighting charges. Vick spoke many times to groups condemning his own behavior and worked with animal cruelty groups. "I think it's very important for him to learn and for him to talk to other people about what he's learned," Williams added. Williams is an avid Eagles fan and spokeswoman Tasha Jamerson said he has a close relationship with the team, conducting seminars with rookie players from other states about how not to fun afoul of Philadelphia's gun laws and other legal issues."

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
To me, the words, "teachable moment" are almost as bad as the "n" word.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Can someone tell me why a DA is involved in this? last time I check, racism isn't against the law?

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Closest thing I can make out is that the DA is an Eagles fan.

The amount of coverage this story has generated is unbelievable.
Just goes to show how far some are willing to go to keep that racism drum beating.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
And the story of the NBA player kicking and stomping on a homeless man gets hardly any coverage. Double standard you bet. You'd think Cooper killed someone with the coverage that is going on.

·
20,126 Posts
Its a word! Can honest to god feel so bad for Cooper. All over a stupid word. Had he called him the F word this wouldn't be an issue. This is crazy.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I read earlier he was given a leave of absence to attend counseling.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
For one reason or another, he probably will not wear an Eagles jersey ever again.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He has a contract, I would not take time off to appease this media circus.
This is whats wrong with people, the big black machine shakes its fist and people cower.
McCoy was on saying how he isn't sure he could ever speak to Cooper again. Isn't this the same guy that blasted his baby momma's mother all over the internet and is also under investigation for having his bodyguard toss a girl out of his car? How many of these hypocrites greet their friends with the N word?

If I was Cooper I would take the " you don't have to play me but your sure going to pay me" attitude.
Why did they hold back this video and ridiculous witch hunt for almost 6 weeks.......... correct answer please, for the publicity it would receive as a distraction on a racially mixed team.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The guy is an idiot and a stupid one at that. I feel no pity for him. Don't these pro athletes know that there are repercussions for their actions on and off the field.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RobOz said:
The guy is an idiot and a stupid one at that. I feel no pity for him. Don't these pro athletes know that there are repercussions for their actions on and off the field.
This whole issue has little to do with what he did as much as who he is.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Obama, Holder, Jackson, Sharpton and all of the race baiters are loving this. They are getting exactly what they have wanted all along. If there is a race war, you can look to these scum and others for causing it. The progressive/liberal/Marxists are getting away with this crap and need brought down.

·
Registered
21,036 Posts
And what about all the racial comments against Caucasians and other races that go on without anyone bating an eye?

Like Trayvons 'cracker' comment??

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
The problem with the "n" word is people assign too much power to it. In the end, its a word. The media circus surrounding this incident and others like the whole Paula Dean fiasco only serve to empower it more and continue to breath life into it. I think Cooper was stupid for not being aware of his surroundings and letting himself get filmed, but ultimately, even what he said is protected by the first amendment.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Ghost said:
Can someone tell me why a DA is involved in this? last time I check, racism isn't against the law?
Exactly. How many times have you heard "cracker" or some other offensive names spewed out from a black person, and nothing is said about it? The "N" word is only offensive when deemed useful by blacks, race baiters, or Liberals. Blacks use the "N" word directed at everyone these days. A word that used to sting and demean, has been reduced to nothing more than slang by those who should be trying to destroy it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts