The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at the CZ lineup for some occasional sporting clays or upland game. Anyone out there have any input on the Canvasback, Redhead, Woodcock lineup.

Don't want to remortgage the house but want a good over and under. I found a great price on a new Canvasback for $589 but admittedly, shotguns are not my area of comfort. It does not have a barrel selector or ejectors, only extractors. Handicap or not?

Good buy on a decent gun?

Thanks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
just bought another shotgun i looked at the cz,but found a good used browning right here on the forum.i like cz rifles but there shotguns are made in turkey.if you dont need new hold out for a used beretta or browning. just my $.02

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have a used one on layaway at Gander Mtn. Hoping to pick it up this weekend sometime. I know many folks on here dislike the "Turkey" produced shotguns, but what I've researched if your going to buy one there's only 2-3 out there that's worth buying and CZ is one of them. I have a fair number of shotguns, Browning included, so I won't be using this gun soley and putting a lot of wear and tear on it. I have a friend that owns a CZ side-by-side and he loves it.
So, I'm hoping for the best, hope all works out.
I will post an update on it once I get a chance to get it out and use it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Well after all the snow has finally melted I was able to get out and shoot my CZ Canvasback two weeks ago.

I only put about a 75 round through it, but was real please with the way it performed. I had no problems with the single select trigger system/safety/firing pins, at least not yet, only time will tell. The gun swings real nice and fast, it has a 26-inch barrel. The break action is nice and smoothe, too.
The only negative thing I would say, and it's only minimal, is the safety. I wish it was a little smoother, but maybe in time that'll operate smoother with a few more hundred rounds through it.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
congrats on the new gun. I saw the CZ Canvasback for sale in the CDNN catalog for great prices. Anybody needing or looking for certain firearms should check this place out.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I assume by your handle you own an AR-15 made by dpms.

Why didn't you buy a WASR-10 instead?

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You assumed correctly. Nothing like a modern, reliable, classic black rifle in the safe.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is a guy on another forum (SGW) that posts his shooting with a canvasback and he has aprx. 7800 rounds through his.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
I own a CZ 550FS 6.5 Swede, 452 American 22LR & a 97B 45ACP...hard to beat CZ quality!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i didn't know that CZ's shotguns were made in TURKEY, i know that the turks make quality edged weapons but never heard any good/bad on shotguns. CZ rifles are of high quality and i'm seriously considering purchasing a CZ mannlicher in 6.5X55

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
As far as Turk guns go, CZ would be the only one I would consider buying. But, you get what you pay for. If you save up a few extra bucks, you could realistically find a good, used, Browning, Beretta or Ruger.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
The Browning Jap stuff aint too bad. i got a jap BPS.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
I was looking at a CZ woodcock O/U at a Ruffed grouse society banquet one time and really liked the feel of it.I thought about buying one but the research that I did came up a little too shaky to spend the 900 bucks on one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts