The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? I just ordered a 22 Hornet. Can't wait to get it!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I had one in a .223 and it was a joy to shoot & a tack driver. The one thing I didn't like was the exposed portion of the clip. I did a lot of hiking for groundhogs in warm weather and the clip really dug into the back of my shoulder as I'd usually just be wearing light camo clothing (Orange hat of course). I got rid of it but have regretted so as I probably could have figured out a better sling carry to use. Bet your will be Hornet will be awesome.:encouragement:

·
Banned
1,186 Posts
I want a .22 hornet but didn't want the cz. Not many new options out there for the .22 hornet. I hear they shoot good though, let us know

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have had the hornet for about 6 years and love it also have the Ruger 77/22 hornet I would take the Cz any day of the week. Shed Antler why do you not want a CZ after shooting both there would be only one choice for me and that would be the CZ.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have one in 204 Ruger. Very happy with it. Like mentioned above, its a tack driver

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have one in 204 and love it! The trigger is very nice. Some one said they didn't like the magazine, I didn't like that either, cause if you carry it in one hand its right where the gun balances. I got a second magazine and shortened it up to hold 2 shells instead of 4, works great. my bolt was a little "stiff" at first, but it got better with use. I think you will like the gun.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I have one in 204 and love it! The trigger is very nice. Some one said they didn't like the magazine, I didn't like that either, cause if you carry it in one hand its right where the gun balances. I got a second magazine and shortened it up to hold 2 shells instead of 4, works great. my bolt was a little "stiff" at first, but it got better with use. I think you will like the gun.
That was me. I love mine in .204, as it's a tack driver, but I don't care for the mag sticking out the bottom. How much you selling the "short" mags for?!:D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hey, check this out. Seems there's enough of us that this guy has found a niche:

Cz-527 Rifle Magazine Conversion | RVB Precision

Sorry Moss, not available for the 22 Hornet. He's selling his mags for $50.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just saw the other day that there was a company making them. I saw they removed the angled metal at the trigger guard, I narrowed the magazine to fit in the angled section. Mine turned out okay, but I am no gunsmith. I just wanted something functional.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
I have one in a .19-223 Calhoon with a tapered Varmint SS barrel. This is kind of funny because just today I started getting the stuff together to reload for it. Haven't shot it in years and I had to dig out the old reload data.
It has a very fine and easily adjusted trigger that is the best I have ever experienced.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I hate the look of the magazine....But its still the next gun I'm going to buy.....The company that shortens the mags cant do it on the Hornet's.....Is there instructions on DIY??

·
Registered
18,452 Posts
I have one in 22 Hornet as well. It is one of the most accurate rifles I own. I don't reload so am forced to shoot factory ammo. The 35gr Hornady V-Max's fly unbelievable, dime size groups. They can be alittle hard on fox however depending on where you hit the animal. They are great for turkey.
I shoot the Remington 45gr PSP's when hunting fox/coyote with a rifle. They are somewhat more furfriendly. They fly almost equally as well. They are tough to find now however, not sure if they are still being manufactured. I recently purchased 4 boxes from another HPA member. They should last me the rest of my life.
There are other manufactures that produce 22 Hornet ammo but most are hollow points. I've also tried the PriviPartizan ammo but did not get good accuracy results with it.
I topped mine with a Leupold VX-R 3 X 9 scope. I love the illuminated dot for hunting predators at night.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked it up this morning, got the Winchester 45 gr jacketed soft points to try out, too windy today to shoot might take it out tomorrow. Put a Leupold 2-7 power scope on it

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think you're really going to like that rifle Moss...

I have one in .223 and it is my favorite rifle (and I have lots of choices ;)
It is absolutely a tack driver, with hand loaded ammo mine will make 1 enlarged hole @ 100 yards.

·
Premium Member
24,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Finally took the Hornet out on Wednesday, this is the last shot at 100 yards on a lead sled

Shooting Winchester 45gr JSP

Not too crazy about the Leupold I was using it doesn't have clicks on it

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I have a 527FS in .222. My only complaint is even the lowest scope rings available for the 527's mount the scope higher then I like.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a savage model 25 22 hornet. Great caliber. Been shooting the 35gr vmax. Work great on fox and coyote. Very few blow outs on fox. Anchored 2 yotes in pass 3 weeks. One at 87&134yds. Can't wait to try it on turkey as well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
My buddy got her daughter the .222 for her whitetail rig. That gun is disgusting accurate and that little girl doesn't know what not being tagged out means. Great little gun.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The worst gun experience of my life was a lefty CZ 527 in 223. I should say 4 lefty 527s because that's how many I had before they (finally) refunded my money. And to add insult to injury, they deducted the 6% PA sales tax id paid.
Tennis ball sized groups didn't excite me with every known good 223 load and a bunch of others I tried.
But good luck with yours.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts