The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up due to a conversation elsewhere, probably annoyed many of you:grin2:
I do the following:
First, deer farms and high fence operations are gone. Higher education facilities herds for research are continued but with inspections by me that they have at the very LEAST double fence, probably some more safeguards that I don't know yet. I haven't paid enough attention to what is required already.

Second, targeted removal. This doesn't mean "more doe tags" it means sharpshooters are removing deer in hotspots. Following what IL supposedly did.

Third, free mandatory testing of every deer in certain counties and voluntary in neighboring counties. Facilities set up from late August through January (or end of season in 2B 5C and 5D)

Fourth, I have a specific person that has microbiology background that is in charge of pressers. Also in charge of how statements are worded. This way the outdoor journalists can't jump to any conclusions, the facts are presented by the people that have a hand in it. This would be a very special person that can take the microbiology and put it in plain terms that even I would understand. :smile2:

What do you do?

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
20,482 Posts
This came up due to a conversation elsewhere, probably annoyed many of you:grin2:
I do the following:
First, deer farms and high fence operations are gone. Higher education facilities herds for research are continued but with inspections by me that they have at the very LEAST double fence, probably some more safeguards that I don't know yet. I haven't paid enough attention to what is required already.

Second, targeted removal. This doesn't mean "more doe tags" it means sharpshooters are removing deer in hotspots. Following what IL supposedly did.

Third, free mandatory testing of every deer in certain counties and voluntary in neighboring counties. Facilities set up from late August through January (or end of season in 2B 5C and 5D)

Fourth, I have a specific person that has microbiology background that is in charge of pressers. Also in charge of how statements are worded. This way the outdoor journalists can't jump to any conclusions, the facts are presented by the people that have a hand in it. This would be a very special person that can take the microbiology and put it in plain terms that even I would understand. :smile2:

What do you do?
Well, I think that the PGC giving first crack at the deer by issuing more doe tags is better than going right to sharpshooters. After the seasons are over and the harvest tabulated, then the sharpshooters step in. I would also expand seasons in CWD areas, go back to concurrent buck and doe for the entire rifle season, allow multiple buck harvest in the CWD zones, eliminate AR in the CWD zones, and close all deer farms and make it illegal to transfer any live cervids into or through the state. Also illegal would be bringing back any animals harvested out of state from known CWD hotspots. I'd expand DMAP tags in CWD zones and possibly red tag certain public grounds if they are known to be CWD hotspots. I would have PR handled by experts in public speaking, but not necessarily scientists.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Well, I think that the PGC giving first crack at the deer by issuing more doe tags is better than going right to sharpshooters. After the seasons are over and the harvest tabulated, then the sharpshooters step in. I would also expand seasons in CWD areas, go back to concurrent buck and doe for the entire rifle season, allow multiple buck harvest in the CWD zones, eliminate AR in the CWD zones, and close all deer farms and make it illegal to transfer any live cervids into or through the state. Also illegal would be bringing back any animals harvested out of state from known CWD hotspots. I'd expand DMAP tags in CWD zones and possibly red tag certain public grounds if they are known to be CWD hotspots. I would have PR handled by experts in public speaking, but not necessarily scientists.
Before they allow multiple buck, they need to allow buck to be harvested during the October week in the CWD zones.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts