The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
There was an article in the outdoor news recently about how young does that are dispersing will disperse farther away from their birth area than a dispersing buck will, which causes for increased chance of getting the disease to a brand new area. That may not be the only reason, but it does make sense to target dispersing does than bucks if that is the case.

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
willyp said:
I may have missed this,but,my son ask me,Why are only the does being shot,with say,DMA-2 permits ??? The Bucks don't carry the illnes???
The object is herd reduction. To accomplish that in a significant way you have to remove the does. Plenty of bucks will be taken out as well, both through the regular antlered buck harvest, as well as button bucks taken in the increased doe harvest.

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
There was an article in the outdoor news recently about how young does that are dispersing will disperse farther away from their birth area than a dispersing buck will, which causes for increased chance of getting the disease to a brand new area. That may not be the only reason, but it does make sense to target dispersing does than bucks if that is the case.
You may have misread that article or it was written wrong. Waugh!

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
jimbridger said:
You may have misread that article or it was written wrong. Waugh!
Check this out:
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/outdo...es/201607100101

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.