The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to pick up certified letter Monday from PGC. States head I turned in tested positive for CWD. Also says "Please contact your local game warden as soon as possible". Called Monday afternoon. Person I talked to acted like they didn't understand why I was calling. Left phone # to be called back with no response back yet. Thought maybe they would want better idea of harvest area instead of just County & township. Are they using "you made your bed now lie in it" mentality since the public shutdown their culling. Plus on the fence with what to do with meat.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Call the Harrisburg headquarters and speak to one of the officers in the Bureau of Wildlife protection and tell them why you are calling. Who was the letter from? If it was from wildlife management then they are the people to call in HBG.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Just curious...when was it harvested?

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
...unfortunate results..thats too bad

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
Had to pick up certified letter Monday from PGC. States head I turned in tested positive for CWD. Also says "Please contact your local game warden as soon as possible". Called Monday afternoon. Person I talked to acted like they didn't understand why I was calling. Left phone # to be called back with no response back yet. Thought maybe they would want better idea of harvest area instead of just County & township. Are they using "you made your bed now lie in it" mentality since the public shutdown their culling. Plus on the fence with what to do with meat.

wouldnt it be nice if they let the local Game Wardens know whats going on, so they know what to expect when you call :surprise2:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
wouldnt it be nice if they let the local Game Wardens know whats going on, so they know what to expect when you call :surprise2:

More better to have a specific number for a specific person (warden or biologist) to handle followup on all positive results? Not like there are hundreds of these (yet).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Looking back, did you remember noticing anything strange about the deer after you harvested it?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it will be something thought about when sitting down to eat some next time but will keep eating it. No bad effects since 67 with people eating it. Would have to throw all deer meat out because nothing is marked this deer that deer just with MM/YY. Plus all burger mixed & bologna made. For all I know might of already consumed a few infected deer over the years. Don't get every one tested. Head drop off is done with convenience not concern. From here on out I will be keeping meat separate & marking more specific. Real hard part will be not eating for 4 months.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
That's a LONG time for CWD results to be returned. In my experience anyhow.

I wouldn't continue eating it, but that's just me.

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
thats the thing. the CDC says not to eat deer that have tested positive. the PGC typically issues another tag if a hunter gets a deer unfit to eat.

so what do they do here ? give you two tags for next season ? that would be fair, in my opinion.

i would toss all of it and would never serve it to my family, especially the children.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
That's a LONG time for CWD results to be returned. In my experience anyhow.

I wouldn't continue eating it, but that's just me.
Wasn't there a news piece that due to the number of heads they received they were behind in getting the heads tested. I know lab work isn't cheap and takes a while.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
And if taken to a butcher shop,who knows who's deer meet was in the grinder with your meat when ground.Mulitple batches of meat ground and I'm sure the grinder doesn't get cleaned till end of day.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
And if taken to a butcher shop,who knows who's deer meet was in the grinder with your meat when ground.Mulitple batches of meat ground and I'm sure the grinder doesn't get cleaned till end of day.
That's a pretty good point, there might be quite a few eating Buzzy's tainted meat without knowing it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wasn't there a news piece that due to the number of heads they received they were behind in getting the heads tested. I know lab work isn't cheap and takes a while.
If I understand it correctly, there are 2 tests. First they do an ELISA, Enzyme linked immuno something or other, that is a common lab test for many things that lab folks can make an antibody for and has a 95% accuracy (5% false positives), then those positives go to IHC (immuno histo chemical) testing that is the "gold standard" that takes quite a bit longer but involves prepping the sample to slice it microscopaclly thin, staining it, and evaluating it under a microscope.

Last I heard, at least one Commissioner was questioning why we didn't inform folks when we were 95% sure.

From my experience dealing with state labs servicing lab equipment back in the 1980's, they were about 10 or more years behind in laboratory automation compared to what hospitals were doing. Likely they could speed up at least the ELISA if they really had the desire.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Not only the meat grinder but also the bone/band saw.That gets used on most of the deer in the shop.

·
Registered
17,103 Posts
my processor debones the deer. he also claims he grinds everyones deer separate. "Claims" being the operative word, but i do know it takes a little longer to get your stuff back compared to other processors i used to go to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts