The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from the PGC stating they have detected CWD in a 5 mile radius of my house and asking for our help. The last i heard the closest CWD positive deer was maybe 20 miles away. Quote of one of the paragraphs from the letter "The Game Commission would like to take actions to reduce the deer population within your area and, in turn, reduce the diseases impact as soon as possible. We are asking for your help and the help of local landowners/hunters to collect a minimum number of CWD samples from your area. We will need a minimum of 350 Samples." Shouldnt they be testing all deer if they are placed in the CWD Bins? They have another CWD meeting at the local high school next week 10/22 6:30 at West perry high school. I will be there.

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
if they need 350 samples, how many deer are they allowing you to shoot ?

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
wouldnt all those heads tossed in the dumpsters, leaking on each other, create false results ?? i think they should have check stations set up in the CWD areas, college students can take samples and get class credits.

Reactions: GSP66

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
wouldnt all those heads tossed in the dumpsters, leaking on each other, create false results ?? i think they should have check stations set up in the CWD areas, college students can take samples and get class credits.
I doubt that as I think they sample the brain. If some other deer's blood makes it to another's brain......it has to be a pretty bad head shot.

·
Registered
18,295 Posts

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I just received a letter from the PGC stating they have detected CWD in a 5 mile radius of my house and asking for our help. The last i heard the closest CWD positive deer was maybe 20 miles away. Quote of one of the paragraphs from the letter "The Game Commission would like to take actions to reduce the deer population within your area and, in turn, reduce the diseases impact as soon as possible. We are asking for your help and the help of local landowners/hunters to collect a minimum number of CWD samples from your area. We will need a minimum of 350 Samples." Shouldnt they be testing all deer if they are placed in the CWD Bins? They have another CWD meeting at the local high school next week 10/22 6:30 at West perry high school. I will be there.
What makes you think they aren't going to do that? Nothing you posted indicates they aren't planning to do so.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just reading to far into that letter i suppose when it said they want a minimum of 350, i just hope everyone that harvests a deer in the DMA get them tested. Still waiting on my results from the first day of archery.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where do you find the locations for cwd drop off? I looked and looked and could not find any.
The closest one to you is on SGL 256 on Route 274. Before you get to Cluggys from Shermandale Take 274 its between 1-2 miles and will be on your left. Cant miss the big white bin sitting there across from the church.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I doubt that as I think they sample the brain. If some other deer's blood makes it to another's brain......it has to be a pretty bad head shot.
They take a sample of the brain stem! I watched them do it to my elk last year.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
At the drop off dumpsters there are bags and twist ties to secure the head. You literally only need to bring the head with your tag in the ear..

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
At the drop off dumpsters there are bags and twist ties to secure the head. You literally only need to bring the head with your tag in the ear..

I was wondering how they contacted you. I suppose they get the info from your tag.

Are you permitted to decap and drop off heads from road kills?

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
Still waiting on my results from the first day of archery.

hopefully you will get the results before next year. what happens if your results are positive? will they give you another tag ? the CDC says not to eat positive venison.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts