The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was listening to the Wired to Hunt Podcast and they had the a guy from the Michigan DNR to discuss the recent CWD occurrence. Just some notes from the show.

1. They are using sharp shooters to remove all deer within 2 miles of where the deer was found.
2. They are offering disease management licenses to anyone with 5 acres of land in the 9 townships around the CWD case to take as many deer as they want starting now.
3. They are offering discounted antlerless licenses in the 3 county's around the case and will not limit how many you can have.

They also doing the mandatory check stations and stopping baiting but man they are not messing around.

I hunt in a DMA in PA and I was kinda ticked I couldn't use urine. I don't know if I should be happy PA didn't get that extreme or be ticked they didn't do enough.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I listen to that podcast as well ad I thought that seemed like a strong reaction but I think in the short run a huge decrease in the deer population is better than CWD spreading based on his discussion that prions basically can't be killed. The sad part is that it seems ultimately CWD will be everywhere due to its resilience. It is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Removing all deer will not remove the disease. Overreaction for sure which seems to be the norm, rather than the exception. CWD has been well established in many states that remain travel destinations for hunters.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Sounds like in the affected area, you can have your fun killing them now, or wait to see if CWD takes em all out anyhow. I'd say make use of them while they're largely unaffected. You will see some experimentation with this till more is understood about the disease. You wont know if it'll work if you don't try in a few areas. Ask some one who's in an area that CWD wiped the local herd out for a few years what they would do if they could back up.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Incurable death has a strange way of affecting people, whether its affecting people or animals.
And its going to affect life no matter. And the old ways won't remain for a few years, decades or lifetimes. As long as the disease remains incurable, the old ways never remain.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
holedigger said:
Sounds like in the affected area, you can have your fun killing them now, or wait to see if CWD takes em all out anyhow. I'd say make use of them while they're largely unaffected. You will see some experimentation with this till more is understood about the disease. You wont know if it'll work if you don't try in a few areas. Ask some one who's in an area that CWD wiped the local herd out for a few years what they would do if they could back up.
Where are those areas the CWD whipped out the herd?

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
holedigger said:
It has been tried in areas before and did not achieve anything other than lower the deer population resulting in less deer to hunt and see.

CWD has never wiped out or had a significant impact on any whitetail deer population.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
cspot said:
holedigger said:
It has been tried in areas before and did not achieve anything other than lower the deer population resulting in less deer to hunt and see.

CWD has never wiped out or had a significant impact on any whitetail deer population.
Sure would like to know where people get their info?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts