The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Going to pose a question to see if anyone else has experienced this while shooting. Both me and a buddy were out shooting our Wolf's in for the early season. Last year we both had tack drivers even without swabbing inbetween shots. This year we were not where we left off last year and were hitting all over the paper. Scope adjustments were touchy at best. In the end we swabbed after every shot and got them hitting good. The million $$$$$ question is why did things change so much from last year sitting in the safe. Now keep in mind this is not just 1 gun but 2 different guns ( same model & year ) acting the same way. We both left the range scratching our heads but sighted in.

Tnx in Adv.
Frank

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
How about the weather?Temp,humidity,could have been vastly different from last year.Barrels could have heated faster and cooled slower.I dunno.....just fishin.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Weather could definately be a factor. He is an example. I have 2 shots withing an in of ea. other at the very top of the target. I move 24 clicks down and 8 to the right. I am not hitting the very bottom of the paper. It also seemed like 1/2 the amount of clicks moved the normal amount? Baffling?????

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
If you were shooting sabots...could of been plastic build-up. I use CVA Sabot Solvent to remove. Sabot polymer(plastic) fouling is tuff to remove with ordinary cleaner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am using 100 grains of 777 pellets and 295 grain powerbelts. I guess what gets to me is why all of a sudden it starts shooting good and grouping. Not sure ether of these are that problem, but then and again what do I know? LOL!

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Had it happen one day with my Omega and 777 pellets. It was real foggy that day and the pellets were drawing moisture from the air in the open box. Did not realise what was wrong until my fingers started to get black!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi MQ-1,

That makes sense. Unfortuantley that was not the case on this day and I was shooting the week before with the same results. So I called it a day and came back to it when I went shooting with my buddy. Baffling???????

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
Black Powder Fun said:
Hi MQ-1,

That makes sense. Unfortuantley that was not the case on this day and I was shooting the week before with the same results. So I called it a day and came back to it when I went shooting with my buddy. Baffling???????

Id give CVa a call & run past them. They likely get thousands of inquiries & possibly have had this one. I called them years past & got some pretty good responses.

·
Registered
117 Posts
another wolf question

how long between shots should i wait while sighting in. i noticed that if i take 3 shots in 5 minutes i was starting to spread out my groups... do these barrels get that hot? swabbed after every 2 to 3

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I was shooting with my Dad over the weekend and he has a Wolf as well. Never shot it until that day. First shot never hit the paper. Second Shot 4 inches low, 3 shot dead center, 4th shot right above the 3 shot. His worked fine. Sunday in Elk County was cold, and we quick cleaned after every shot. He uses 100 grains, and Knight and Hale bullets.

·
Registered
117 Posts
another question about the wolf guys...

after shooting maybe 20 shots our of it ever, the trigger will not spring back forward when i cock the gun. when cocking the gun i must manually push the trigger back forward to engage it or the hammer will fall when i let it go.

has anyone had this problem, or know how to fix it?

thanks

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
never heard of that before. I'd take the barrel off the rifle and use some brake cleaner ( in a can) and spray down into the internals of the trigger area, let it dry and then hit it with some spray lube. Primer fouling may be causing some issues with parts sticking.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tec Hunter23,

Never had that happen on ether mine or my buddies Wolf. Like any firearm clean it and lube it. If that doesn't solve the problem call CVA.

Now to give a little update on our problem. We went out hunting this past week. We both only swabbed with a wet patch, dry patch to follow and loaded up. 100 gr.777 & 295 gr. powerbelt. I shot a younger doe on Mon. and we both shot doe on Wed. We both agreed that when the gun is put down for the season it will get a complete clean and bore butter lube. Once it is shot for accuracy it will get swabbed with a wet patch/dry patch and that is all. Seemed to work for us with these 2 guns.
Good luck hunting guys and be safe.

Thanks.
Frank

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
When i sited mine in i swabbed after every shot using pyrodex pellets and 295 gr powerbelts!Alot easier loading,and better accuracy.It really makes a difference!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
i wouldnt use bore butter for long term storage, it's not really good for that. Get some good gun oil like Rem oil. Wipe everything down with a wet patch give it a few minutes to dry and then use a dry cloth to mop excess oil.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts