The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

CVA Optima or TC Impact?

16K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  broknaero 
#1 ·
I am looking to get either of the above muzzleloaders. In the past I've only bought TC, but am taking a look at the CVA also. Does anyone have experience with either gun? I like the break open for ease of cleaning.

#4 ·
good ole boy said:
Just wonderin if you alread have T/C,s than why are you lookin at the Impact cause it is a lower priced entry level rifle.I think the Optima is a higher end rifle per se and not in the same class.The CVA Wolf for ex.would be a fair comparison to the Impact.
I sold my Black Diamond because it was a pain to clean. I was comparing the Optima and Impact since they are similar in price.

#6 ·
CVA life time warranty as well.

TC has been falling off the books ever since the S&W take over. I heard that they even killed the tc hawken.

Also when people say TC warranty is the best it just laugh because they got that reputation by having guns that break down and need repairing. The best warranty is one that doesnt need to be used IMO.

#7 ·
I don,t buy that in a minute.Yes they got some nice rifles but it is alot easier to deal with the factory that built it than some repair center for foreign rifles.We all know that T/C,s are favored by far(We ought to do a survey).I was wrong cause I was at W/Mart today and they do have Optimas in different price ranges and styles.Even though I don,t own one I would not hesitate ownin a CVA though.Handle them both and go with the one that fits you the best.The Impacts don,t shoulder good for me.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input. Cabela's has a great deal on the CVA Impact, black stock, stainless, fluted barrel, QRBP, with the DuraSight scope mount for $219.99. The Impact is $10 more, but has the blued barrel. They both feel good in hand and on the shoulder, so it is coming down to value. I feel the CVA is a better value, I am just a little concerned about the quality. From what I've read, it seems the CVA's have gotten alot better over the years.

#9 ·
My first inline was a CVA Firebolt(plunger type) then I bought an Optima Pro. Both were decent shooting MLers. When the TC Pro Hunter(built on Encore platform) came out decided to go for it. Been with the TC Pro Hunter now since 2006 and it's quality is superior to the Spanish imported CVA line per my ownership of both. Not saying that CVA's are junk at all but not nearly in the same class as TC's. Of course...you will spend a lil more for a TC. Like anything else...all depends what your expectations are, how much you shoot plus money your willing to spend.

#11 ·
frontier gander said:
sorry but the new cva optima is probably the best deal and muzzleloader fow a low cost that you can buy. Extremely easy to take apart and clean, finger removable breech plug, is not clunky to open the action on. I had two, down sized to one, and both had trigger pulls of 2.1lbs and 2lbs.

Nuttin to be sorry about frontier gander. I have no financial interest direct/nor indirect whutsoever nor am anyway connected in promoting either's products(TC or CVA)...how bout you???

#17 ·
I can't speak for the TC because I've never owned one. I do have a CVA Optima Pro 209 in a 45 cal though and I cannot say enough about it. It is one sweet shooting gun. A couple of years ago and let it sit for two years in my gun cabinet. I was going to finally hunt with it again so I took it to the range. All I had was some white cardboard for a target and I forgot something to put a bullseye on so I just put a 1/2" square piece of electrical tape on the target. My first shot was 50 yards. I didn't see any holes in the white cardboard so I thought I was in for a long morning. Upon further investigation I found that the first shot was dead center in that 1/2" black tape at 50 yards. It didn't surprise me though because I knew how good this gun shot.
I have a 3x9x40 TC scope on it which is a great scope for a muzleloader. I like the break down for easy cleaning to. I don't know why but it seems that you can't find 45 cals anymore.
Goodluck with your choice.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.