The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin gave my grandfather a cva apollo and my pap has no experience with muzzle loaders and i cant say that i have much either. i know it is an extremely cheap muzzleloader and their were a lot of safety issues with some of them but from what i've read online, the serial # we have is fine.

what kind of loads were you shooting? we are kind of new to this and i cant really find any info. i really have no interest in this gun but my pap is determined to get it shooting and i am just trying to help him out. we have no manuals or anything so i am basically trying to gather as much "reliable" info as i can.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
First off double check with CVA if they had safety issues with that model. Second Hook up with a friend or someone at the range with experience to give you the low down on smoke poles. If it is an older model then the max load is probably around 110 grains of powder. NEVER EXCEED THE MAX LOAD!!!!! I would suggest starting with around 70 grains of powder and working your way up until you get the accuracy out of it. 5 grains of powder will make a big difference in a shot group.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Pretty sure the only problem CVA had was with the Stag Horns like I have.....

if they were built before 98, they are suggesting that you swap out your barrel..something from what I remember, they did not use good mix of steels to make the barrels and had a few explode...

Here is what they have on thier site....
http://www.cva.com/recall.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts