The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some new Carbon Express Lite Hunter's for Christmas. I want to cut them down. What's my best alternative: Hacksaw with new fine blade? Dremel with fine cut off wheel? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I had thought you had to use a certain saw to cut arrows so I looked on the website for Carbon Express Arrows and this is what it says:

"Always use a high-speed cut-off tool (above 5,000 rpm) with an abrasive wheel when cutting carbon shafts. Using tube cutters or hand saws will damage the carbon fibers."

You can do what you want but I would follow the instructions provided with the arrows. I bought arrows at Cabelas and they cut them for free.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Scott M. said:
So I got some new Carbon Express Lite Hunter's for Christmas. I want to cut them down. What's my best alternative: Hacksaw with new fine blade? Dremel with fine cut off wheel? Any other suggestions?
That is how I have been cutting mine. I do put masking tape around the spot I am going to cut them. Helps to keep them from splintering.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
... don't breathe in the dust either!!!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the Dremel tool is the winner. If I were to make this a regular habit I'd invest in the cut-off saw, but that doesn't seem necessary at this point.

·
Super Moderator
12,806 Posts
Been using a cut off saw for 25 years+-. I bought the extra blade, but I don't need it yet.

A fast cut is desirable since, it does not require any pressure which can "Flatten" the shaft at the point the cut is made. I also use a trimming tool and a de-burring tool to fine tune the job.....Makes the inserts fit straight and assists in broadhead flight.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Best thing to do is buy a cut-off saw at harbor freight for 30 bucks, turn the cutting wheel backwards and cut your arrows to the lenght you want. Then after your arrows are cut, you want to use a G5 ASD (Arrow Squaring Device) to make sure that your cut was square. Next step is to glue in your inserts and add fletching. This is better than taking arrows to a shop and pay someone and wait a couple days to get your arrows back. Making your own arrows only ensures that your arrows are true and will fly straight. I learned my lesson last year when I paid a shop to make my arrows, 8 of the 12 arrows had the fletchings fall off and some flew in a spiral.......

·
Registered
583 Posts
I am thinking of getting that cut off tool from harbor frieght and the G5 ASD and making my own set of custom arrows. All the information above was great....

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I thought of going to carbon arrows from aluminum, or is it now alloy.
That no use of a hack saw about killed me. I've used the same hacksaw, for over 15 years on the aluminum arrows.

Plus I found I needed a new fletching tool. Mine only works with aluminum.

Maybe some year, if I get around to it.

Bows in my mind are suppose to be slow. If I want speed, I'd use a 30-06.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts