The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I have a question..lets say I have a few dozen new 2216 raw full length arrow shafts and I want to cut them down to make 16.5 inch bolts will there be a difference in spine between the 2 shafts that was made out of the 1 full length shaft?

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
What crossbow only uses 16.5" bolts? 2216 is used for some of the weaker crossbows shooting 18-20" bolts but most aluminum bolts are made using 2219 shafts. I don't know if there will be a difference in stiffness or not?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
The .016 sidewall thickness would concern me. I think I'd stick with the 2219 instead. I'm assuming you are using them in an Excalibur. If it's a lightweight lower poundage bow you should be ok with 2216.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm using them in my excal equinox and wanted to shoot them in my excal micro 355 that I just got. been using them in my equinox for about 6 years and they fly great and are very accurate. I may have about 3 dozen 2219's as well that I can cut down too so the question remains..

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
If you're asking if you cut a 33" 2216 shaft exactly in half to make two 16.5" shafts, will both 16.5" shafts be equal in spine? The answer is yes. BUT, the 16.5" shafts will be spined significantly stiffer than the parent 33" shaft.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I used this method when I used my now-ancient Excalibur Exocet. But this was like 10 years ago. Whether 2216's are still sufficient in spine for the newer bows, I can't say.

Make sure you get an arrow square and square both nock and point ends of the bolts. It pays HUGE dividends in flight/accuracy, especially with broadheads.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're asking if you cut a 33" 2216 shaft exactly in half to make two 16.5" shafts, will both 16.5" shafts be equal in spine? The answer is yes. BUT, the 16.5" shafts will be spined significantly stiffer than the parent 33" shaft.
yes I'm aware the spine will be stiffer with the shorter shaft..but what I was basically trying to get at is would the spine be enough for the new micro 355. I might be way off track here but with the shorter power stroke of the micro (compared to the equinox) will the spine be enough in a 2216 at 16.5 inches long?

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
yes I'm aware the spine will be stiffer with the shorter shaft..but what I was basically trying to get at is would the spine be enough for the new micro 355. I might be way off track here but with the shorter power stroke of the micro (compared to the equinox) will the spine be enough in a 2216 at 16.5 inches long?
I have no idea. Also, as Arrowhead posted, even if they would be stiff enough, that wouldn't necessarily mean they would be safe, they may even void your warranty. If it were me, I'd either get an answer directly from Excalibur or just purchase correct bolts.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The .016 sidewall thickness would concern me. I think I'd stick with the 2219 instead. I'm assuming you are using them in an Excalibur. If it's a lightweight lower poundage bow you should be ok with 2216.

I just got a reply back from Excalibur about my inquiry of the 2216 shaft..

they stated I could use any combination as long as my total arrow weight wasn't below 350 grains..and it will not void the warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts