The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own a Cutco hunting knife? My MIL bought me one, and she ordered the straight edge, but the one that showed up has the DD edge. I don't really want to have to send it back. Any experience with the DD edge?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have one that was taken on several trips out west. It is very sharp and holds its edge for a long time. The first time it was used on 4 bulls a cow and a mule deer. Was still as sharp as new. I did bend some of the points taking hair off the skull. I stopped and had cutco dress it up for free. It has since done several elk and deer and is still sharp. The only down side is you can't sharpen it yourself cutco has to put it on their equipment. But it will be done for life free. Hope this helps. PS at the time I took it in the lady said it was the first one she ever had come back to be sharpened.

·
Registered
272 Posts
No problem my camp is close to the store so I stop in all the time. If you ever need anything from them just hit me up.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had one of the serrated ones and I ground it down and put my own edge on it. It's now the best knife I ever owned.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
The serrated one is very nice. The extendable fishing knife is the bomb. I think it adjusts from 6 to 10 inches. Mine has done thousands of Perch and hundreds of Walleye. After 16 years the handle is finally failing. Most likely from how we clean the knife.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I received this one as a gift a few years ago.

I do not like the serrated edge because I can mot sharpen it myself. I know Cutco will do it for free for the life of the knife but I prefer to sharpen my own. Also, the first time I used it on a deer, I realized I don't like the gut hook. It works okay for it's intended purpose but seems to get hung up a lot when cutting loose the organs from inside the chest cavity.

Mine is custom engraved (with my name and the name of my camp) so it is strictly a display piece now. I have gone back to my straight-edged, non-gut hook hunting knife.

Don't get me wrong, Cutco makes great products, I own several and a few Ka-Bars too. I just don't like this style for practical use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts