The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all happened early September.

125 yards laser ranged. CVA Mountain Stalker, 362gr Custom Tipped Powerbelt with 100gr Pyrodex RS.

I had been walking through a small field with a mix of pine trees and kicked up 3 doe. I tracked them for a while and thought i lost them and was taking a short cut back to the trail i had been walking. I saw one doe flash through some pines and i stopped and whistled and this one stopped in an area where i only had roughly a 2 foot x 2 foot shooting hole.

Blood was everywhere, a 2' wide blood trail and i can put my hand on a bible and say that's the truth and not get zapped! After roughly 30 yards i came on to the kill. She had gone down in the thick timber crud but it wasn't bad to drag her through. It wasn't a big doe, maybe 90lbs at the most but that's pretty common size of doe that we take.

Internal damage was just insane! I lost no meat on this deer.

Exit,

Internal Entrance,

Internal Exit,

Some pics of the Custom Tip Insert, Regular Aerotip VS Custom Tip. 100gr Pyrodex RS.

The coarse thread gives the soft lead something to grip onto and basically mold itself to as the bullet starts to mushroom.

Set them into the bullet, give a little push, turn bullet upside down and using a hard surface, push until the Insert is flush with the bullet nose.

Regular Aerotip: From This,

To This!!

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Wow, very nice. Terminal Ballistics has always been something that I dabbled in as well. Looks like those Powerbelts did some damage, congrats.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The damage was impressive, but I normally pass on button bucks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
thaks for sharing i never heard of those tips before i am a big fan of the powerbelts ming have to look for um.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Good results there FG!!

When I shot the 348 grain Powerbelt Aerotips i also experienced outstanding results. Below is a pic of a 8 Pt i shot in PA with a 348 grain Powerbelt Aerotip. Load was 120 grains 2fg loose( I have now switched to 2 T7 magnum Pellets which approximates 120 grans n 2fg loose).

Buck was hit angling at me thru frt shoulder & bullet crushed shoulder, penetrated through deer & was recovered inside far rear hind qtrs hide. Buck flipped on his back at impact & didnt move off spot. Bullet retained apprx 85%. Hanging beside 8 Pt. is a large doe I double lunged with same load. Outstanding results also.

Recovered 348 Grain Powerbelt Aerotip

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i make them. Im going to be building a new mold where i can cast around 5 to 6 at a time. One at a time takes me about an hour for only 100 of the inserts. They can be used in either the HP Or Aerotip.

·
Administrator
39,022 Posts
duckman76 said:
How did you come up with that idea? I use the 295 hollow points and they do just about as much damage.
One thing for sure is it helps the bullet mushroom better!
Without it you seen how fragmented it was.However i must say the deer i shot with the 295 hollow point didn't fragment much!

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its added insurance. The threaded insert really does a great job at holding the bullet together, especially if the hunter were to take a short range shoulder/heavy bone shot.
Heres some shooting from 100 yards into wet sand with the 245gr Aerotip & Custom Tip. You can easily tell the difference,

If you ever just find lead fragments in your deer and only a small portion of the bullet, Heres what could have happened.

Thats a huge problem when it hits bone and is being pushed by 100 + grains of powder.

Heres a regular 348gr Aerotip being pushed by 100gr Pyrodex RS into soaking wet news paper @ 50 yards.

Recovered bullet weight is 181 grains. I wasnt happy with the shape of the recovered bullet ( pancaked) and i especially wasnt happy with only getting back 181 grains!

The tip controls over expansion/ fragmentation and will hold a cone form to hopefully punch through both sides of a deer weather its a lung shot or shoulder shot.

This was an early experiment with the Custom Tip insert. 100gr RS and at 50 yards. This was a hard 50/50 lead-tin insert that i no longer make due to it not coming out of the mold with the deep threads that i want. Maybe the lead wasnt hot enough but the Wheel weight lead hardened in cold water does a better job.

I actually took 3 shots that day and each bullet hit eachother, thats why this one looked so messed up! But compare this bullet to the bullet above! The custom tip powerbelt was a 256gr bullet (245 without the tip)
Recovered was 253 grains!!

Exit hole from that 16" wet phone books i shot into,

I actually just bought a new drill press off ebay last night so as soon as she comes in, I'll be finishing my new mold thats going to use a new thread for more grip on the Inserts shaft. This insert should insure a complete pass through each and every time on the easy behind the shoulder lung shots and offer deeper, more reliable performance on up close shoulder shots.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
I shot the lighter Powerbelts but have found the 348 grain powerbelt Aerotip to stabilize far better out of typical 1-28 fast twisting barrels. Also, the 348's have performed without flaw on several deer i killed with them.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
i think many overlook the fact that a Powerbelt is a CONICAL which is sized to bore upon expanding in bore upon ignition VS a lighter saboted bullet in the 45 caliber range. I think thats why so many experience poor results with the lighter powerbelts. Go to a 348 Powerbelt Aerotip & end of issue!! It's longer bullet stabilizes better in a 1-28 bbl plus will afford outstanding penetration/results.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
loggy, you do have an excellent point. Most new shooters call powerbelts, sabots simply because they have plastic on them. Also the difference between a powerbelt and 99% of the sabots out there... Powerbelts are pure soft lead VS hard lead/thick copper jacket that the sabots use. Powerbelt messed up by using such a deep hollow point. Anyone who has shot conicals for a long time knows that a deep HP in a soft conical = disaster when the bullet is pushed to hard. Powerbelt came back with the Platinum to help solve this issue and it did help a little, mostly in the 338gr platinum but the smaller platinums still suffer from this problem.

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ordered a drill press finally so once thats in i will make my new mold and see how that comes out. Waiting for this drill press is like being a kid all over again waiting for christmas morning! lol

1 - 20 of 32 Posts