The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems most of the custom builders are at least at the eastern half of the state or farther. Any near Pittsburgh or within 100 miles? I want a TVM(Jack Garner) Early Virgina flinter, but if someone can make one closer to Pittsburgh, that would even be better.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Seems to me there was a fellow by the name of Jim Barto from somewhere around Indiana,PA that made custom smokepoles. I used to work with his brother and he'd always try to talk me into one and show me the one his brother made him. Don't know of a phone number but a name is a place to start I guess.

·
Registered
483 Posts
a buddy of mine building flintlocks, his name is mark wheland, we live in williamsburg PA which is about 10 minutes from altoona.. PM for more info

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Type in Recreating History in your search engine. This will take you to Ron Lukinbil`s website. He is from Saint Marys and does really beautiful work.

·
Banned
1,089 Posts
Octagon,

Here are a few within a two hour drive of you.

Mark Wheland
http://www.markwhelandrifles.com/

Contact Anthony Palyszeski at:
PO Box 32
Tarentum, PA 15084
phone number: 724-727-2714

Contact Michael Lea at:
2109 Summit St.
Columbus, OH 43201

Contact Ian Pratt at:
17775 Warwick Rd
Marshallville, OH 44645
phone number: (330)658-4049

Phil Cravener of Latrobe, PA at 724-539-7667

Good Luck,

GBJ

·
Registered
820 Posts
+1 For Ron Luckinbill"s work. Attention to detail and added to the fact his artistic abilities and attention to detail are fantastic!!!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ron and Mark both do excellent work. Mark's work is more toward copies of original rifles. Ron's work is more toward the everyday hunter. I would expect a less expensive rifle quicker from Ron but a rifle worth more in the future from Mark. Same locks, same barrels, just a little bit of artistic talent seperates these guys. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I bought a custom flintlock from a guy named gene nagel,he owns cooperstown trading post in bulter pa ,look him up on the wed.he does nice work,he built me a lefty and its like artwork

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was just gonna say about cooperstown trading post, Nice rifles, he is just off of rt 228 heading toward saxonburg pa. His number is 412 670 0141, or 724 670 7220. I was just there today he has a ton of cool stuff you wont find anywere else, furs, leather, deerskin, rifles, pistols, and shooting stuff. Hope this helps. Matt

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven`t been in Cooperstown trading post for about 20 years!! I didn`t know he made guns. He was kinda odd back then, is he still a little different

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to add that it will be a very plain Early Virgina flinter so it would be a pretty easy build compared to what alot of these guys do. It looks like this:

·
Registered
671 Posts
You can call Chris Voytek heis from latrobe pa . He help my husband build his smooth bore 724-539-2692 he builds his own guns excellent workmans ship

·
Administrator
39,066 Posts
Sr Buttons said:
You can call Chris Voytek heis from latrobe pa . He help my husband build his smooth bore 724-539-2692 he builds his own guns excellent workmans ship
Jack,i heard talk of this guy from others!All good things!

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great info fellas!! I will look at all of my options. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts