The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 1-3 inches of rain falling over the area yesterday, I developed 4 different options for today. Based on the data I was reading, option 1 looked like a long shot, but I drove over it on the way to the others. I stopped to take a peak and it actually looked ok, right on the edge of what I thought could provide good fishing. I decided to give it 15 minutes to see if I could make it work.

Two casts in and a 13.5" brown lunged at my white bead, glow-in-the-dark blade spinner.

A few casts later and a 14.5" brown was also pulled toward the light of my new spinner.

My notes show that this stream has great holdover capacity all through the summer. Last year I fished this stream late in june and caught quite a few decent sized holdover browns. This was happening again today, so I made the decision to ride the morning out on this stream. My glowing spinners seemed to be overcoming the turbidity.
Side note...It has been over 5000 trout since my last golden rainbow. I never target them intentionally, in fact, most water I fish is not even stocked with rainbows. Thus, I understand that my chances are low, but one might think... 5000 trout and not a golden??? I lost 2 last year, and the year before I never saw one.
Today, from the murky depths and unseen to me until it broke the surface, was this monster...

It was most likely the smallest golden stocked by the state, but I treated it like a two footer. I played it carefully, eased it to the bank, and took a few photos for posterity.

This stream also holds some respectable native brook trout that persevere despite the many hefty browns that are stocked here every year.

The almost-big browns persisted as I moved upstream. This one measured in at just over 15".

There were some stocked brookies present as well, although unimpressive.

After passing some smaller tribs that were dumping in muddy water, the stream was clear enough to go back to the WBG spinner. I was glad to do this because I feel that I can control the colorado blades much much better than indiana blades.

The WBG spinner earned its keep immediately with the largest fish of the day, this big headed brown which measured in at 16".

The natives became more numerous further upstream, while stockies maintained their numbers.

I can't remember a time when a classic "leaning tree" hole didn't give up a trout, even if it is just a modest native.

This stretch of water was murder row last year when I fished hear with something like 15-20 trout caught here. Today it only yielded 3.

I liked the pronounced par markings on this fish.

The confluence of these two streams is always a pleasant sight. Both tributaries can provide a mile or so of quality fishing, but only one of them has a road to use as an exit point.

The last trout of the day put my 4.25 hour total at 78. I fished this exact same stretch last year and caught 60, so I was satisfied with that, but more satisfied that my golden rainbow curse has been lifted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Seems like a real nice outing with decent numbers. I have few glow-in-the-dark orange blades, but have never tried them - might have to change that on the next outing.

Not to criticize the post, but similar to you, I used to only post trout shots with very little stream shots. Trout2003 called me out for that a few years ago, and he was right, stream shots are way more interesting and captivating to the reader than most fish pictures. I'm still 50% stream shots / 50% fish shots, but I think most readers appreciate the stream shots more.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you notice, I include stream shots in almost all of my trout pictures so you can see where the trout came from. Take a look above. I think it's powerful knowledge to see what type of fish are coming from each type of water.

·
20,165 Posts
Hahaha......i am guilty of that lol.

Congrats on the golden TDR although I think you deserved a much larger one. I recall your struggles ha-ha. I guess ya gotta start someplace though. I dont think the state stocks them quite that small so a club probably issued you that one. Either way, that's some serious stocked trout fishing right there. Some of my favorite stuff and I don't habe nearly as much of that out this way.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Good time .... the state does stock a few smaller "goldens" along with a few trout that still have par markings on them. I know I've had them in my stocking bucket LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts