The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I attended the huge Sportsman's Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I handled nearly all the current lever action rifles and carbines. The "new" Marlins seem quite well made to me. Same goes for the Rio Grande model by Rossi. I thought the Mossberg 464 seemed a little rough to operate in comparison. But still a good rifle; my nephew has one. Winchester model 94 and 71 are pricey imports but exceptionally well made. Browning's BLR is tops but so is pricing. Smoothest of all are the modified Marlins built by Wild West Guns of Alaska. The representative explained that the internal parts are polished.

I did not handle the new Henry Long Ranger because of the large crowd at this display booth.

Today's consumers have a wide choice of lever actions to choose from.

TR

·
Super Moderator
5,055 Posts
I own a lot of levers, including Savage, Marlin, Henry, Winchester and Browning. IMO, the BLRs are the Cadillacs of the lever actions. Sometimes it pays to buy quality.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I own a lot of levers, including Savage, Marlin, Henry, Winchester and Browning. IMO, the BLRs are the Cadillacs of the lever actions. Sometimes it pays to buy quality.
Had a blr in 308 nice gun but sold it after I bought a savage 99f in 308. I like the savage 99 a lot more but of course they don't make them anymore. but you can find a nice used one in excellent condition for the same price as a blr and the value will continue to rise.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I like traditional levers. I'd rather use a levergun but I'd rather use a bolt gun than a BLR or Lone Ranger. The new Marlins are getting better every year.

·
Registered
9,485 Posts
There is a reason their was a crowd at the Henry booth.I don,t like the BLR I seen at a shop the other day.Sides,I wouldn,t own a classic named rifle with a Jap stamp on it which is all Brownings and Winnie levers.John Wayne would be spinnin in his grave if he knew.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I just picked up my Henry Big Boy Steel 44Mag. Fit and finish are excellent. Action is nice and smooth and trigger is surprisingly nice. I'm very impressed with this Henry.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
See if you can track down a Sako Finnwolf. If Marlin is the Cadillac, then the Sako Finnbear is a 600 Mercedes Benz AMG.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I just picked up my Henry Big Boy Steel 44Mag. Fit and finish are excellent. Action is nice and smooth and trigger is surprisingly nice. I'm very impressed with this Henry.
I'm a big fan of the Henry myself. I have a 45/70 and a 22 mag, both golden boys. Action is real smooth and they shoot great. I like older Marlins as well, the new ones not so much.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Henry myself. I have a 45/70 and a 22 mag, both golden boys. Action is real smooth and they shoot great. I like older Marlins as well, the new ones not so much.
It's my first Henry and I'm really impressed. I have the big boy in .327 fed mag on advanced order with my dealer. I'm really interested in these new long rangers. One of those in a .243 would be a sweet little rig.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
i know this thread is about current lever actions and If I were in the market for one it would be a henry in a 45/70. this being said i have a mod 94 pre WWII serial # in the 250k and it is so smooth and shoots really well. three in high at 50 yds and on at 100 with the iron sights using core locks. It is not drilled or tapped for a scope and never will

·
Registered
946 Posts
i know this thread is about current lever actions and If I were in the market for one it would be a henry in a 45/70. this being said i have a mod 94 pre WWII serial # in the 250k and it is so smooth and shoots really well. three in high at 50 yds and on at 100 with the iron sights using core locks. It is not drilled or tapped for a scope and never will
I own one 94,it's a 356win and it's a shooter. That little gun kicks like a mule.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If it's a 30-30 or 32 and it's dropping 3" from 50 to 100 yards, you have some seriously weak ammo. It shouldn't drop at all .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts