The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have this friend, the hardest-headed fellow you would ever want to meet. he's one of those that believes the PGC stocked the coyotes and they're wiping out the deer herd.

I remember talking with Arnie Hayden (sp?) years ago and he said studies on the stomach contents of coyotes revealed mostly raccoon during certain times of the year. he caulked it up to road kill, which was actually where he thought coyote also got most of their deer.

so I always check stomach contents on my yotes, albeit the few I catch

does any one else check coyote stomach content for their own knowledge? what have you found? looking for more evidence to bop my friend upside the head

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">Oh boy here we go. I'm getting a front seat this time.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Mike, tried to PM you. Your inbox is full. </span> </span>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I just cut one open the other day. one small bone grass and straw.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
7 coyote stomachs opened in November. No kidding they were jammed packed with deer suet, each one.

They are deer eating machines, especially when packed up.

During a helicopter coyote shoot, agents observed a 28 lb yote fatally injure a 200 lb mule deer buck. What the heck could a 40-50 lb eastern brushwolf do?

·
Registered
252 Posts
i open up and see what is in alot of anumails just so i know what they are targeting. summer i find alot of grasshopers and mice and voles. just like walker. stated. now all i find is deer hair from late summer on. anyone ever notice after skinning a few coons or poss. there is not a criterthat eats them. not here near me they just rot. i agree they eat alot of deer as well as them bobats to.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
birds eat those coon carcusses. we hang them in a tree once in a while. when there is snow on the ground they eat them like crazy.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i never see much eating coon carcusses but every year while cat hunting i find a few coyote killed coons and even possums and porkys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Years ago I used to open up coyote stomach.Arnie Haden got me started doing it when I did the Bobcat Study.1 coyote had a small rubber ball in it another had big pieces of a turtle shell in it.I think I saved him alot of pain trying to pass them.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I did a couple years ago. Opened the first 8 that year. All had mice in them except one. It was empty .... Not a good hunter I guess. One had 14 mice in it.

Only one had deer hair in it. Looked like possum and coon in a couple. Most of the hair seemed to be their own.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
i opened another one the other day. It was completely empty. not even grass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts