The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are they essential to making jerky? Do you recommend using a cure salt or pack, or do you make jerky without it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I make my jerky without it. I only use the cure when i am smoking meet. I have never seen a Jerky recipe call for the meet to be cured.

Thats just my two cents.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
genxweb said:
I make my jerky without it. I only use the cure when i am smoking meet. I have never seen a Jerky recipe call for the meet to be cured.

Thats just my two cents.
Read the Labels of the Jerky on the shelves in stores!

Cure=Sodium Nitrite is Always Used!

Cure=Sodium Nitrite is used to keep Bad Things from Happening, not just to make the meat turn a Deep Red!

You been lucky so far, Read up on those "Things" that can Happen without Cure and then Think about All the people you have Shared your Jerky with and What could have Happened to them!

You say you "Only use Cure when Smoking Meat" I guess you use a Dehydrator to make Jerky? If so, WOW, Your Really Messing with them "Things" that can go Really Wrong and make People Sick!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
The cure is not a preservative. It is an inhibitor. It inhibits bacteria, ie. salmonella, from forming in the meat.

WoodyWoodDuck is right on target.....Be careful!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
If you are going to consume it within 2 weeks and have no fat on the jerky, it is perfectly fine. You can even refrigerate it, do not airtight container it without cure, moisture can help grow bacteria. Use a paper bag when storing jerky without cure. If you use cure, your jerky can be airtight sealed up to 2 years, as long as you use the correct ratio.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
BlackBruin said:
If you are going to consume it within 2 weeks and have no fat on the jerky, it is perfectly fine. You can even refrigerate it, do not airtight container it without cure, moisture can help grow bacteria. Use a paper bag when storing jerky without cure. If you use cure, your jerky can be airtight sealed up to 2 years, as long as you use the correct ratio.

Read up on this....Botulism Food Poisoning

READ EVERYTHING You can get Hold of, READ and Pay Attention to HOW it Thrives and Grows!

READ on What happens when someone gets that in their System, EVEYTHING That happens!

Then, after your Done Reading, REread what you just posted there and Think LONG and Hard on ALL the BAD Advice you just Posted!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
BandCollector said:
The cure is not a preservative. It is an inhibitor. It inhibits bacteria, ie. salmonella, from forming in the meat.

Salmonella is Not the 1 you really need to be worried about!

the 1 I posted above IS, on how it thrives and multiplies and what you do when smoking that Creates a GREAT little BED for it to Multiply like Crazy without cure!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can buy cure packs that are already seasoned...but I think you pay for the name and pre-seasoning. I am going directly to morton's and I'll make my own marinade.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
BandCollector said:

the 1 I posted above IS, on how it thrives and multiplies and what you do when smoking that Creates a GREAT little BED for it to Multiply like Crazy without cure!
You are correct...Botulism is really bad news!...But I really think that you do not want a bout with salmonella either!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
BandCollector said:
Woodywoodduck said:
BandCollector said:

You are correct...Botulism is really bad news!...But I really think that you do not want a bout with salmonella either!
I don't want a bout with Either 1 of them! The Botulism is 1 that is Over looked to much & not thought about!

smoking meats creates low to No Oxygen, low Heat, GREAT BREEDING Ground for Botulism!

Those who Refuse to use Cure are Playing with a DEADLY FIRE they do Not want to be playing with! Add in those who love those Dehydrators and No Cure....WOW, might as well play Russian Roulette with a six shooter loaded with 5 rounds!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts