The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see reports of individuals shooting tundra swans mistaken for snow geese.One cited for unplugged shotgun with 5shells.Witnesses spot group of vehicles stop and watch flock of snow geese,they got out and started shooting at the flock.The individuals that shot at the flock gathered some of the geese up,but left 3 wounded swans and five snow geese.We hunted a field about 1mile from there 3 years ago,had ground pounders shoot at a flock that landed 300 yards from us.Its a shame to see this stuff.The area is West/Northwest of Middle Creek.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Yea it happened on one of my farms i have been hunting for over 30 years they crippled 5 swans and left 6 snows laying around they did get one of the license plate numbers. I think they should outlaw grounding pounding all together these guys don't care where they shoot or what , one farm i have they shot the barn and one window out of the house just for a bird. Just the way i feel about ground pounding!

·
Registered
959 Posts
gooseman51 said:
I think they should outlaw grounding pounding all together. Just the way i feel about ground pounding!
. I think there is a lot of us that feel the same way jimmy. The game commission doesn't really enforce it as much as I would like to see. They should be patrolling the area around middle creek like the patrol the game lands in pheasant season or state forest in deer.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Also call bs on mistaking a swan for a snow goose. They probably were the flock together and they opened up on the flock and the swans were shot.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Same guys every year, they just keep on chasin', shootin', and braggin' about it online. Manly men I tell ya! It's going to take a fatal accident for any enforcement to begin since its hard to prove it's an illegal activity.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Congrats to all the ground pounders! They can crawl.. I accomplished that feat at 8 months old!!! Don't look for em to outlaw it... ever... they want em dead and they want the revenue for catching em in safety zones over the limit... exc.. bottom line they want hunters. Ethical or not! Big bunch of guys out there that "can't afford decoys"

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Shoot a turkey on the ground, hero pics. Shoot a snow goose...

I'm kidding, ground pounding isn't hunting, it's shooting. Then again, I know a guy who scored about a dozen bands and collars ground pounding his properties for snows. I can see why it has it's fans, but it's not for me. It's pretty effective and not very time consuming and if you're making jerky, I'm not going to cry about how it's not hunting. I can't get past the turkey comparison... All turkey hunters are ground pounders ideally.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Turkey hunters use decoys to get the bird to come in range or call to them. Turkey hunting and ground pounding snow geese by following them by vehicle is not the same. Setting decoys and calling both turkeys and snow geese takes skill. Belly crawling across a field does not. But it's hunting both ways. Just really makes me mad they left cripples and shot swans and left them crippled. True sportsmen right there.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Five years ago this pic was an attention getter.

15 shots were fired, I forget the number of birds killed, near MC.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Quakbak, I was pointing out how it's a bit hypocritical, that's all. Deer hunters almost insist on a staionary target, same with turkey hunters. To shoot waterfowl sitting still or at rest is taboo. Using a vehicle was something I never brought up. If you drive up to a field and don't get out because you don't see birds, you're road hunting.

·
Registered
959 Posts
It's ok dtaylor I understand your point. I'm just stating how it is different decoying and calling instead of following and shooting.

·
20,126 Posts
I've seen some crazy gp hero pics from this year. Pics of posted signs and stuff to show they did it on land they shouldn't have. In general you'll struggle to find a person the gps that's a genuine good person. They all know what they're doing. On the flip side I've been assisted many a time by gpers not allowing birds to sit in a field while I'm decoying. In the end though it would be nice if the flock chasers were caught and fined more often though. That's probably 99.999% of ground pounding. Chase the flock from the roost to feed, knock on the farmers door at 7:15am, and go do it. Brutal act with zero respect for life.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
DTaylor said:
Shoot a turkey on the ground, hero pics. Shoot a snow goose...

I can't get past the turkey comparison... All turkey hunters are ground pounders ideally.
Uncle Don,

I'm just wondering...Are you a turkey hunter? Have you ever hunted spring gobbler? I'm just having a very difficult time trying to see it your way with the turkey comparison.

While you're correct about the actual "shot".. turkey hunting is not difficult because shooting a turkey is difficult. It's difficult because you are required to entice a very wary bird into shotgun range in the thick spring woods, by using the language of the bird, understanding their habits and instincts, understanding the land that you're on and how, why, and when the birds use it...amongst numerous other variables. Only when EVERYTHING comes together skillfully, do you get a shot on the bird. And by then, all of your man hours and effort are walking toward you in the form of a tennis ball sized head that won't stay still and notices every leaf that shakes with a breeze...and your adrenaline is pumping so hard that you can barely see. I've honestly thought that I was going to have a heart attack before while turkey hunting, and maintain I will eventually perish while sitting against a tree in the spring woods trying to fool one of these majestic birds again..

With ground pounding waterfowl, all of the other variables that make the hunt a challenge are taken out of the equation, and all you're left with is a belly crawl and the shot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts