The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I have had these cameras for a few weeks. The jury is still out on these as I have to see what the battery life and such is.

Here is what I bought. With being a member I ordered these on a double discount and free shipping. Only paid about $620 for the 4 pack.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...camera-4-pack?a=2170827&_br_psugg_q=cuddeback

For those that don't know the system, bascially it takes pics and sends them all back to a home camera. From the home camera you can check all of the images from all cameras. The one's from the remote camera will be a thumbnail. If you want the full size pic then you have to go to the camera.

One con to these is that the setup is a little involved. There is a ton of options on these cameras. The instructions are good though, but there is an order in which you have to deploy the cameras. Once you learn how it works it really isn't that bad. At first though it seems complicated. They could improve the "user friendly" features of this camera.

Also I had one bad camera in the 4 pack. It took constant pictures even without being triggered. Cuddeback did replace it and paid for the shipping.

The home camera was setup at the cabin basically as a survelence. It didn't take any pics except me when I checked it. Below is a couple of pics of the thumbnails from the remote cameras. You can definitely look at the pics and see what you are getting on cameras.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

It also has a pic for each camera that give you the status when you check the home camera. You can also check the status thru the camera too.

So far I am happy with them. This will work well for camp as I can check the cams from the cabin when I arrive on Friday or Saturday night without having to disturb anything. It will also keep from as much intrusion during the summer for cam checks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Curious as to how much ground you are covering with them. Is the 1/4 mile range pretty accurate in forested areas. I'm a fan of their concept, just curious as to how effective they are. Thanks for your info.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Curious as to how much ground you are covering with them. Is the 1/4 mile range pretty accurate in forested areas. I'm a fan of their concept, just curious as to how effective they are. Thanks for your info.

That is one thing that I didn't test out. When I get a chance when I am down there I will take a camera and walk around with it to see when I lose range. With my GPS I should be able to get some fairly accurate distances. Of course when the foliage gets on I am sure that will cut it down a little too.

Right now my farthest camera is about 1/4 mile and the signal is about 78 out of 99. They recommend it being above 20.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had 5 of them given to me back in September, okay cameras but the required 12 AA batteries is a lil much. I was only able to get 44-46 days and 250-260 pics. Will be sticking with the Bushnell Trophy cameras, 8AA batteries and over 1000 pics.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had 5 of them given to me back in September, okay cameras but the required 12 AA batteries is a lil much. I was only able to get 44-46 days and 250-260 pics. Will be sticking with the Bushnell Trophy cameras, 8AA batteries and over 1000 pics.
The battery life is a concern, but I know I am well over the pics that you were getting on the one camera and am closing in on the days. I have el cheapo batteries in right now too since I am just testing. They were either family dollar or dollar general brand.

In PA I will still be using my Browning cams. The Cuddelink though works out really well for our Ohio Camp.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
cspot just watch using cheapo batteries in your cams because I did that last year and some of them leaked battery acid and ruined one of my cameras plus I had to order a tray for one of my other cameras !!

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cspot just watch using cheapo batteries in your cams because I did that last year and some of them leaked battery acid and ruined one of my cameras plus I had to order a tray for one of my other cameras !!
Thanks. I didn't think of that.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Update on these cameras. They do work as advertised, but the battery life sucks in these thing. I am not using lithium but with Duracell alkaline I get about 6 or 7 weeks out of a set of batteries. They work very well at camp and do keep me from intruding on the property to check cameras. Like I mentioned in the 1st post about them too is that they aren't the most user friendly cameras in the world also.

If they can come up with the same system but improve battery life then it would be alot better.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Could try using Procell batteries. I think they are made by Duracell but are more "Industrial". I buy them off ebay. I tested Duracells, Energizer and Procell in my camera's and Procell outlasted them all buy a few hundred pics. The Energizers were the worst.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks cspot, they have intriqued me for awhile but not enough to pull the trigger. I've been disappointed a pile of times so i get a little gun shy. I had great success with their original flash cams 10 yrs ago but the couple of their upgraded ones after those were very poor performers. I'm glad to read a review of someone with a lot of experience that isn't taking money to write a review. Keep us updated. (definitely get some lithiums in those cams )

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok. Here is an update on the Cuddelink with batteries. Finally I am doing a real test. I will update as the cameras die.

First is the home camera. It says 0 images because I keep clearing it's card. It doesn't count the pics that it receives, but has received all the pics from the other camera. This camera takes few pics as I now have it on my back porch so I can check it without putting on a coat or boots. LOL. 22 days and the battery level is still good. This has lithium AA batteries.

Next is a camera that I bought the optional battery pack that takes D batteries. As you can see it died after 430 images and 14 days. The batteries are alkaline as I don't think they make lithium D's?

Next camera has the lithium AA batteries. This camera is set on a trail so it doesn't take ton of pictures. Wanted to see how long it will last.

Last camera has the lithium AA batteries. So far this camera has taken over 800 images and has been going for 22 days.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. Next Updata

First is the home camera. This had the lithium batteries and they were dead when I arrived at camp. From the pics it appears that they died on 12/6. This means that I got about 32 days out of the lithium. That isn't much better than I got out of the alkaline. The home camera isn't as big of a deal as it is easy to change batteries. I changed them so I could continue

Next camera has the lithium AA batteries. This camera is set on a trail so it doesn't take ton of pictures. The battery level is still ok and it has taken 132 pics in 39 days.

Last camera has the lithium AA batteries. So far this camera has taken over 950 images and has been going for 43 days.

I am kinda expecting the other cameras to die soon especially the one that has over 950 images, but we will see.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
That was the big issue I have with them. Each requires 12 AA battery's, the Bushnell's that I'm running require 8 and I have been able to get 1200-1500 pics with them.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That was the big issue I have with them. Each requires 12 AA battery's, the Bushnell's that I'm running require 8 and I have been able to get 1200-1500 pics with them.
Yep. IF they could get better battery life, they would be perfect for my use.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yeah...……...your battery life is fairly indicative of Cuddeback. Were it not for Cuddeback trigger speed, I don't think they'd sell a camera...…………..at least not to anyone who's ever talked to a person who had to deal with Cuddeback Customer (non) Service.

Sarcastically, but in all seriousness, you'd better hope your system breaks within the next year. After that, Cuddeback won't repair it. They'll just give you about 30% of what you paid for it towards a newer model of their product that they won't stand behind two years after that...……….

1 - 20 of 29 Posts