The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a great weekend scouting up in Pike County and on Sunday we took our daughter to a Jakes field day in Wilkes-Barre. We all learned a lot there!

One thing that got me curious was using a crow call for a run & gun strategy. I haven't really heard anyone talk about that and I wonder how many people do it. Also, does anyone use a crow call when scouting or does that spook the turkeys?

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I use a crow call while scouting if the turkeys aren't
gobbling on their own. It usually gets them to sound off
if they are within hearing distance.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
We have a TON of crows up here. I can honestly say in almost 30 years of chasing turkeys around Northwest PA I can count the number of times on one hand that a crow call got a shock gobble in response. I hunt a couple private spots in particular, where the birds don't even get much pressure, and you couldn't buy a shock gobble from a crow call. They just don't seem to respond to them up here for some reason. The crows sure do!...but not the gobblers-either on the roost or off the ground. Don't know why. Maybe too many crows and they are just desensitized to them? I do know that a barred owl call will work 9 times out of 10 here though and I have one of the Lohman barred out calls that has to 25 years old. It's loud and gutteral and almost never fails to shock a gobble on the roost. I read about guys complaining about all the "weekend warriors" tromping around the game lands squaking on an owl call and I really do think in those areas, they have gotten used to the sound. It isn't the fault of the call, it's the fault of the user, not using it correctly and at the right times.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I use a crow call for scouting and when I'm hunting. It's my favorite locator call. I have several calls but the one I carry the most is the Primos "Power Crow". It's REALLY loud and carries a long way in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
i use a "hammerin crow"

ive never had an issue with it NOT working for me...if it dont work, i keep on movin..if they wont shock gobble to it, they likely arent in the mood to play the game from my experience...

the BEST locator IMO is thunder..dont know what it is but thunder seems to REALLY get em to gobble..

ive seen various crow calls beside mine not be as effective..coyote howlers, owls, peacocks, etc..

i will stick with my crow call..

and i use it for run n gun hunting all the time..thats about the only time i use it actually..

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I have a ptimos crow call that they seem to like when on the roost, I never used it later in the day.

The outhouse door slammin' at 0400 works if they are roosted close to the cabin.

location, location, location.

·
Registered
413 Posts
you don't have to sound like a crow to get the turkey to gobble. you just have to make a loud, abrupt noise. it kinda startles them and they gobble. i dont even try to sound like a real crow, i just blast it hard as i can to be loud and obnoxious and quick. then i listen for the response.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
mightyjoeyoung said:
We have a TON of crows up here. I can honestly say in almost 30 years of chasing turkeys around Northwest PA I can count the number of times on one hand that a crow call got a shock gobble in response. I hunt a couple private spots in particular, where the birds don't even get much pressure, and you couldn't buy a shock gobble from a crow call. They just don't seem to respond to them up here for some reason. The crows sure do!...but not the gobblers-either on the roost or off the ground. Don't know why. Maybe too many crows and they are just desensitized to them? I do know that a barred owl call will work 9 times out of 10 here though and I have one of the Lohman barred out calls that has to 25 years old. It's loud and gutteral and almost never fails to shock a gobble on the roost. I read about guys complaining about all the "weekend warriors" tromping around the game lands squaking on an owl call and I really do think in those areas, they have gotten used to the sound. It isn't the fault of the call, it's the fault of the user, not using it correctly and at the right times.
I agree with mightyjoe, when I first started hunting turkeys I bought a crow call but never got any responses and after the years I thought the same thing too many crows naturally in the area they hear them all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts