The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't make up my mind on what to get. I want to be in the 300 fps+ range, but am a cheap_____. Any input on a good bow for $$$$ appreciated.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Look up Arrowhead. He has a good selection of Parkers and the lower end ones are still really fast and not that expensive around 3-400 I believe?

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Parker Enforcer or Buckbuster ....less $ but not Cheaply made by any means, get you to 300fps.

Ditto on arrowhead, he has some used ones of varying brand come in too if that works...if I was going to buy used, I'd buy them from a guy like him. HE KNOWS CROSSBOWS and will talk you to the one that fits your budget and requirements and set it up to remove roadblocks a DIY might lead too.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. RB I know you have the Tornado and thats what I really want, but don't want to spend $699.00 on one. The Axioms look nice to. I was thinking about the buckbuster, but I'm hoping he has a sweet used one for sale. I'm assuming/hoping the Parker lifetime warranty is transferable to second hand individuals. I don't care about scratches--useability is all I'm worried about. I wish I had never sold my old Tenpoint, but I had it almost ten years ago and got rid of it because it was an expensive toy and not legal in Pa back then.

I called him and left a message--thanks guys.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
We got the Tornado and the Enforcer both now...and having shot them both you will not be unhappy with the Enforcer in anyway as a hunting crossbow, especially if you are just talking whitetails out to 35 yards.

In fact, my Dad (69) and son (13) both like the Enforcer more than the Tornado when we shot them side by side at trout camp...much lighter crossbow, with just a bit slower speed and a bit wider stance. I still like the Tornado though, but then again I drew blood with it...whcih tends to make me attach to things..

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats the fps on the enforcer I forget?

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Enforcer 160 shoots a 20 inch, 400 grain carbon arrow at a screaming 305 feet per second, generating 85 foot-pounds of kinetic energy. With 160 pound limbs.

This was copied form a post in crossbownation.... for what it's worth.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bud I went there and read it after I asked the question

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks arrow, like others have already stated your a pretty painless guy to deal with.

Rb, its your fault. You had to say how nice they were. I'm meeting arrowhead this weekend. Seriously thanks for the input once you said you owned two parkers-- I knew they had to be sweet. With a name like enforcer its got to be deadly. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Arrow, one more thing, a buddy of mine at work is in the market for one now, I'll be sure to give em your #.

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Arrowhead comes highly recomended here for a reason

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Good to see you guys worked something out. Give us a little report when you get some range time with her.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm hoping when I pick it up arrowhead has the target I'm buying with the bow set-up in his yard at camp. Even better, he hands me the bow and says here I already have it sighted in for you
You know, just to make sure there was no factory defects

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Rb, its your fault. You had to say how nice they were. I'm meeting arrowhead this weekend. Seriously thanks for the input once you said you owned two parkers-- I knew they had to be sweet. With a name like enforcer its got to be deadly
There have been a few times in life when someone says "its your fault" and I feel really bad.....this is not one of those times.

Shooting them in is the fun part and is an education in its capabilties you really don't want to miss. I.e. Despite the speed and after reading all the uneducated hype in the debates over the past year, I was a bit surprised to learn and see firsthand, there was an inch a yard drop at normal bow range with the Tornado. Then expect another tweak when you switch to broadhead shooting.

Learn it well and ENJOY IT!!!! (oh, and fill the tank on the gas grill..
)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now I'll have to invest in some tree stands again. Does loggy and summit still make em? I used to have a loggy I think it was called lock on and a summit climber when I used to archery hunt? I seen some dude selling a handful of remington tree stands for like $50.00 a piece new in the for sale forum here. Me thinkin they aint that good of a stand if there that cheap. I could be wrong though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts