The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
exaclibur and tenpoint are gonna be were you will be told to start looking. although its gonna have to be your own decison on what you really like. try to look at lots of bows and shoot a bunch also. before you finally decide.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Good advice by Turkey4life. I would add to check out the Wicked Ridge Line (made by Tenpoint) of crossbows as well. They are getting some great reviews.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Talk to Arrowhead (on here). Will point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I love my Parker Enforcer - 2 bucks and a doe in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
Lots of choices out there.

Easy to maintain and lighter up front look at recurves like Excaliburs. But recurves are louder, slower and wider.

For speed, quietness and more manueverability, look at compounds like TenPoint/Wicked Ridge. But, compounds are heavier up front and harder to maintain.

There are models available from $400 and up. If you got a budget you can share we can get more specific.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Carbon Express small and fast 350 GPS...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the suggestions. Looks like there are alot of good options.
Dpms I was hoping to not spend more than $1000. I really want something quiet with good speed and kinetic energy. And sorry I am new to cross bows but what do you mean by harder or easier to maintain?

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
outdoorsaholic13 said:
Dpms I was hoping to not spend more than $1000. I really want something quiet with good speed and kinetic energy. And sorry I am new to cross bows but what do you mean by harder or easier to maintain?
Compounds in general are harder on the center servings and cables around the cams. Also, most need a bow press to be able to work on them. More moving parts equals more to go wrong. Recurves wear the string and center servings less because the string angle is less acute at full draw and they can be pressed with a simple stringing aid that comes with the bows.

Since you stated speed/energy and noise at less than $1000, I would look at the TenPoint Turbo II. Reason I recommend TenPoint/Wicked Ridge and Excalibur is because of reliability and customer service excellence. Forum sponsor Arrowhead is a dealer whose prices will be tough to beat if given the opportunity.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
dpms is spot on with what he said above. One thing to warn you if you are new to crossbows. None of them will be quiet when compared to a vertical bow. They are all noisy. Compounds are generally quieter. I will say that if you have a $1000 budget, then you will have alot of choices to look at. Talk to Arrowhead, he is one of the best.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
In that price range, when you compare all the features and benefits of all the crossbows out there, the Ten Point Turbo XLT II will be tough to beat. That being said, you may want to hold off for a few weeks. The ATA show is the second week of Jan. and all the new models will be on display there. I know there are some benefical changes coming and it may be worth the wait. The Athens Apocolypse crossbow is one I have my eye on at the moment.

I will be at the ATA show and will be shooting everything I can. I'm sure I will have some opinions of them and reviews after the show.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for everyone for the advice. Seems like arrowhead is the crossbow guru. I have time to wait, as i wont be using the crossbow until next years hunting season. I am excited to hear what the shot show will bring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts