The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the BOC passed final adoption legailzing crossbow for all small game seasons. This regulatory change will be in effect for this coming fall.

There has been alot of confusion on this issue with many assuming that crossbows were legal for small game this past fall. That was not the case but now crossbow enthusiasts can use their weapon of choice during big game and small game seasons.

Along with the SRA archery extension, this was an issue I was involved in along with many others. Thanks to everyone that helped out!!

Good news. Peter cottontail better look out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
during the smallgame overlap i was hunting archery near some corn fields. small game hunters were hunting pheasants i had 10-12 roosters run /walk right below me! i yell out to the guys soon as you step into the field there running through this patch of woods. one guy posted near me the other went through the fields....... they where both done[limited out] in about 10 min i only wished i could have shot. i had the right amount of orange on. but carrying my crossbow. next year .......look out! bbq pheasants on the grill!

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
What kind of point would you shoot, a blunt? For bushytails, grouse and bunnies

My son would rather use the crossbow over anything on any critter....Period! He likely will take it for spring bird this year.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I would imagine that the PGC will tell us what point we must use. Guess we will have to wait for the final regulations to see what they say.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G5 makes the SGH for small game. Haven't shot em but they look cool and should stop bout anything considered small game.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Imagine the boost your bolt sales will take on this

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
That is the point I use, the G5 small game head. The G5 works great on pheasant and squirrels. Do not use the Judo points though, the wire rips off and gets bent easily. If you hit a blade of grass, it digs right into the ground. The G5 shoots just like a field point out to 30 yards.

My experience with these points are with a compound though, so may be a little different for the crossbow.

·
Registered
12,676 Posts
Grat news and I like that G5 head!! I agree, many arrows will be lost or broken so the local stores should do better on arrow sales

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I think you better check the laws on what head you carry and what your hunting for. i don't remember them changing the law if your hunting big game that you can have a non- big game head with ya. Just a question?

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
davyg said:
I think you better check the laws on what head you carry and what your hunting for. i don't remember them changing the law if your hunting big game that you can have a non- big game head with ya. Just a question?
This came up before and you can carry another kind of head while big game hunting but you really can't use it for small game unless you put the 250 of orange on. Perfectly legal to carry it for unloading purposes or putting on some blaze and begin to squirrel hunt.

·
Registered
18,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If the 250 is displayed front and back/head you can small game hunt with the crossbow.

If archery hunting deer in camo, you can have a field tip in your quiver but cannot take a opportunity shot at a grouse or squirrel unless you put on the required orange.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts