The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
18,620 Posts
No worries. This bill has been out there for awhile now. Basically it is the same bill as HB263 which legalizes air rifles and allows the PGC to regulate them. HB263 would legalize the "airbow", along with all air rifles, but the PGC would set regulations. The "airbow" bill does not mandate that airbows become legal to hunt with.

Now the "airbow" may become legal where air rifles are legal to use, but not in archery seasons.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I wondered how long it would take before this weapon would draw attention--well--not long.
I am old enough to remember the transition from self, long, recurve bows into the compound era.
Then we had the cross bow introduction into the season. I have ALWAYS advocated ALL three of these devices--why? Because all three devices use stored energy within the limbs thereby transfering that enegy through the string and into or, onto an arrow shaft. All of these devices--no matter how modern they have gotten through cams, wheels, high end sights, rests, cocked and locked, release aids, etc.--they all still have a set of limbs be it vertical or, horizontal and a string and or buss cable.
This new device named or labeled as "The-Air-Bow" is in fact an air rifle. It used a precharged cylinder storing compressed gas and has NO LIMBS and NO STRING. It is by definition NOT A BOW and by NO means is even remotely a device that should have the name "BOW" attached to it.
In the past with the changing world of archery there were folks on both sides of the fence when the compound bow came along. That same sentiment was present when crossbows were introduced. The thing is folks all of those devices as I have previously stated have "LIMBS" and "STRINGS". They by definition are archery devices. Even though time and technology have made them more modern with all of the high gadgets that we can attach to them--AGAIN I will state-the fact they have a set of limbs and a string defines them as a certain class of weapon.
The introduction of the "Air-Bow" is now where I draw thew line. If they want to allow this weapon in seasons defined as "RIFLE" and use it during our current two week "RIFLE" season it could very well be a little wedge to push for getting it legal in our archery seasons--NOW--I am not crying fowl here.
This may not happen.
In the past I have refrained from drawing a line with weapons. I always tried to advocate sharing and introducing folks to the sport of hunting. I have NEVER advocated for limiting the access and opportunity of others but, now I have drawn the line. I DO NOT want to EVER see this weapon gain ground and momentum to be introduced into our archery seasons and, I honestly believe in the future this could happen. I know--many who will read my post will say--You poor cry baby--your just crying fowl here. I am not--NO limbs--NO string--Its not an air bow--its an air rifle plain and simple.
Thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
525 Posts
In my long winded previous post--I realize that the idea of introducing this weapon into regular seasons is a long stretch of the imagination at this point. This I get--with new ideas and concepts come ideas of introducing such weapons into the mix of our hunting seasons--no matter how far off this may be.
If a guy like me (everyday working class schmuck) is thinking about the ramifications of such a weapon I am sure that others are thinking about it also.
I guess in short my thoughts are simple--this weapon should have a VERY defined name--AIR RIFLE.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
What's the effective range of one of these ?
If it's the same as a crossbow or a compound I am not totally sure where its best fit would be.
Yes it doesn't have a string but at the same time it doesn't have to be drawn in the presence of game and is shouldered just like a crossbow.
It doesn't have limbs like a compound but the vert limbs on a compound really are not much of a factor, especially from a tree stand.
When you combined the advantages of a compound and crossbow it becomes a wash in regards to an airbow.
It still shoots an arrow it just doesn't have a string or limbs and if the effective range is the same as both than should it really not ever be taken into consideration when it comes to archery ?
Not saying I want them to be included, I just don't understand the importance of having to have a string and limbs when the other two clearly have their own advantages.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
jkhunter said:
What do you mean the limbs aren't much of a factor on a compound?
Limbs have never been much of an issue for me with my compound. I can shoot seated or standing with no issues.

·
Registered
18,620 Posts
curverbowruss said:
I guess in short my thoughts are simple--this weapon should have a VERY defined name--AIR RIFLE.
Yep. I consider it an air rifle that shoots arrows, as do most folks.

·
Super Moderator
7,757 Posts
I wonder, if permitted as a hunting implement in the general season, what they'd establish as the safety zone for this?

I've got the cart miles in front of the horse, but I wonder if this would besubject to the archery safety zone (50 yards) or firearm safety zone (150 yards)?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not what you call the thing, The question is how long it will take to be legalized, right now they are trying for gun season, this tool only became available a year ago, and we all know if we had a choice between a crossbow or air bow what we would choose.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
So you're saying that if they legalized air bows no one would want to buy or use crossbows anymore ?

What is your logic behind that ? Just curious because I really have no idea what advantage an air bow has over a crossbow other than no limbs.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I guess I need to clarify what I am saying about the STRING and LIMBS.
I am NOT saying anything about the limbs getting in the way or being an issue when shooting in a treestand.
I am saying the LIMBS are where the energy comes from--being drawn and bent--when shot that stored energy is transfered from the limbs through the string then transfered into the arrow--casting it from the bow. Self, recurve, long, compound and crossbows have this in common--they are archery equipment.
The 'Air-Bow" used a compressed gas cylinder--this is where the stored energy to cast the projectile--Like my RWS air rifles--compressed gas (air) is used to propel the pellet when fired.
I see the "Air-Bow" by it's given name getting confused with the word "BOW".
Just because it shoots an arrow it is NOT a BOW.
The way the energy or propellant method is stored greatly differs from "archery" tackle.
As for me the choice between a crossbow and a gas charged cylinder weapon---I'll take my trusted low maintenance Excalibur any day over the "Air-Bow"
I know from experience from my days of CO2 cartridge air guns in the bitter cold how unreliable they were when it got cold out. Leaking seals etc. over time--I have no need for the extra maintenance involved. I have TONS of experience shooting air rifles and still own and shoot them regularly.
I have nothing against the "air-Bow"--it's quite the intriguing weapon. I just feel it has the WRONG name attached to it and feel it is what it really is--AN AIR RIFLE--NOT a bow in ANY way, shape, or, form.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Good logic but as far as not allowing them in archery, would you see it as more of a social issue than anything else ?

The way I look at it, is that all three are launching arrows with a broadhead at the end of them.

I do agree "bow" is the wrong term for them.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
steelhead125 said:
Good logic but as far as not allowing them in archery, would you see it as more of a social issue than anything else ?

The way I look at it, is that all three are launching arrows with a broadhead at the end of them.

What if the so called air-bow sees itself as a crossbow or even a recurve? Can it use either a bathroom designated for males or females? I am so confused by this whole thing! Makes me wonder why they have not considered sling shots to launch arrows with exploding tips.

·
Registered
525 Posts
For me it isn't so much a social issue. I have and still hunt with a recurve, compound and a crossbow. A bow has limbs and a string as I outlined previously. This improperly named air rifle simply has the wrong nomenclature attached to it.
I have seen these when they were first introduced by Crosman and thought to myself--how long will it be before states are bombarded with folks wanting these things allowed into a given game season?
I see the latest issue of Pa. Outdoor News has an article in and, I have not yet had time to sit down and read it.
I just cannot get past the fact a weapon like this would even be given ANY consideration in the future for use in archery seasons in ANY state.
Like I said--if a common everyday schmuck like myself has given thought to how it may impact things down the road--folks pushing to be able to use such a weapon in archery season--well I figured that I am not alone in my thoughts of just how long and how far down the road it is until a push for using such a device and calling it a bow when it clearly is not.
Remember--all of my opinions(and we know what opinions are like) are just that--opinions. I fully realize my opinions may not reflect the sum total of others.
In reflecting back many years folks who shot long bows spoke out against the compound--it was the easy way out. Then the vertical bow shooters said the same thing about crossbows--too easy etc..
I guess there are still different camps so to speak of in the sport but, I have been personally asked by friends and family--Is there or, should there be a line drawn as to just how far advances in gear should go and, what should be allowed?
Well it's a tough one to answer--I always tell myself--"Just who in the heck do I think I am--limiting access and opportunity for others?"
Is there a point we are going too far by allowing certain weapons to be used as legal hunting tools?
I honestly look for the "Air-Bow" to stir up some real trouble down the not so distant horizon if and when folks want it legalized in big game seasons other than firearms seasons for big game.
If I am wrong about that--hey I'm man enough to say it--I was wrong but, I don't look for things to end that way.
OK--enough of my ramblings--I'm off to read the article in Pa. Outdoor News about this subject.

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
I heard they were gona make them legal archery equipment in Ohio.
We all know what comes after that.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
jimsdad said:
steelhead125 said:

What if the so called air-bow sees itself as a crossbow or even a recurve? Can it use either a bathroom designated for males or females? I am so confused by this whole thing! Makes me wonder why they have not considered sling shots to launch arrows with exploding tips.
Everyone has their own opinion. I would never use one in the foreseeable future but at the same time I just don't see much of a difference. One has an arrow launched by retained energy from limbs and a string and the other uses compressed air.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't feel strings and limbs should be a factor anymore and also feel the line has already been crossed. In my eye's it just comes down to the projectile. With an air bow it's not a bullet it's a arrow and broadhead. If the effective range is the same as vert bows and crossbows I just can't justify a reason for them not to be allowed in archery season other than social issues.

I also find it a little disturbing that those who pushed for the inclusion of crossbows would be against the inclusion of air-bows/air-rifles. When you think back to the arguments on the pro crossbow side of things it's very hypocritical in my opinion to be against it.

If anyone wants to convince me otherwise I am all ears.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts