The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, looking for guidance. I am going to be teaching my friends 9 year old son to hunt. His father was tragically killed a few months ago and had told him he would teach him. My problem is, I'm not sure if we should get him using a compound bow or a crossbow. I figured a crossbow would be more stable-- we will be using a stand with a rest. But finding one small enough for him has been a little difficult. Thanks in advance for your input.

· Registered
2,678 Posts
I started my son with a crossbow at age 6. Practicing shooting off a tripod. He is now 10 and shoots it free handed extremely well. 2 months ago he told me he wants to start using a compound bow instead which was music to my ears. We went to the archery shop that same day and got him all set up and he's loving it. Shoots it almost daily and is becoming very proficient with it. When we hunted together we sat on the ground with a primos trigger stick and he never had a problem controlling the weapon. I didn't like the idea of him handling a crossbow in a tree stand.

· Registered
11,902 Posts
I would get him both but wouldn't expect him to be able to hunt with a compound for at least a couple years.My son turned 11 this past summer and he may be able to use his compound this year.He's shooting 42 lbs and shoots it well but his draw length is only 19 inches.I have little doubt that he can get it done under perfect conditions but I'm sure I'm willing to risk that.

· Registered
18,335 Posts
Crossbow all the way for a few years then he may want to try a compound in time. Most kids that start with a crossbow eventually switch over.

If you don't want to invest much, but still have a quality crossbow that will fit him decent, look at the Wicked Ridge Ranger.

· Registered
256 Posts
Crossbow all the way,I took my 8 year old grandson last year and he filled a doe tag! He has a compound bow that he loves to shoot but I don't think he's quite ready yet to try it out on a live deer....

· Registered
11,598 Posts
Crossbow all the way. Unless he is quite big for 9, he would have trouble pulling the minimum weight for a compound. Good Luck!!

· Registered
11,902 Posts
Most kids should be able to draw the min weight after a while if they practice enough.The draw length is just as important a function as the weight.Unless the kid is really tall for their age,most will struggle with the draw length being long enough to generate enough KE.Also,from what I've seen,a lot of kids are shooting way too long of a draw length.I'd like my son to be able to use a compound this year instead of a crossbow but I'm not gonna push it unless I'm sure he'll get adequate penetration.

· Registered
809 Posts
My dad started me out shooting a compound at age 9. Didn't start hunting with it until I was 16 though. I never even touched a crossbow until I was 25 and had my first shoulder surgery. Thankfully, I am back to using a compound.

· Registered
146 Posts
I started both my boys with a cross bow. I went with the Strike Zone 350. The recoil pad is remove able, which shortened the stock. With some practice, they are both able to harvest a deer humanely at 30 yd or less. Just be sure to teach him how to use it safely. Lots of energy present.

· Registered
761 Posts
My daughter loves shooting her compound but is not able to pull enough to hunt with it. She really wants to hunt archery (this will be her first year) so I bought a crossbow. I ended up buying a Center Point Sniper 370. The nice thing about it is that it takes AR15 stocks and can be adjusted short enough for her and long enough for me.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Crossbow! Started my Daughter off one. Teaches them to use the Scope which can help when he starts with a Rifle. Easy to use. Take a look at Parker's Challenger crossbow. 5lbs and built for small frame. You will be impressed. Remember, you will probably be sighting in at 20yds. 1 inch correction is 20 clicks. Thought the crosshairs were going to break first time I went 20 clicks. LOL It works. Doesn't take a lot of sighting in right out of the box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts