The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals what are your recommendations for devices to quiet the crossbow ...Are they universal?...I have a wicked ridge bow having alot of problems with deer jumping when I shoot.

Thank You Much

·
Banned
629 Posts
Shot 2 deer this year without any silencers. Both were about 15 yards. At what distance does noise from firing become an issue?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I also have a jump string problem with my Parker. It has the limb silencers and string silencers. I also shoot without the quiver attached. I am amazed at the reaction time of deer that are very relaxed when I shoot.They tend to drop a bit to spring forward. I have been compensating a bit by aiming a bit low and forward,not much ,lower 1/3 of body and right at the leg/armpit. that way if they jump it's still a lethal hit. Works for me

·
Registered
222 Posts
Aiming for the string jump just makes sense....regular bow or crossbow. Take broadside shots and aim low/mid heart. They don't make a bow fast enough to compensate for the string jump.

·
Registered
222 Posts
A little more....If you aim at the lungs and they drop you have three possible results...Two are bad and one is lucky:

1. Arrow hits above the lungs and below the backbone. This is the "Nothing Zone". Deer bleeds for 80 yards and then the bleeding stops. I cannot tell you how many times this happens per year to many many archery hunters...Deer gets away...BAD.

2. Arrow hits backbone and deer drops...LUCKY.

3. Arrow misses clean over the back and deer gets away unscathed...BAD.

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
i use the limbsaver crossbow silencing system on my parker. i also added the silencers that replace the limb bolts on compounds, i believe they discontinued these.

but i added them to my crossbow, replacing the limb bolts and it helped a great deal. my crossbow is rather quiet almost like a compound with just catwhiskers on it.

still loud compared to a compound, but quiet for a crossbow, killed several deer at the 25 yard mark, they just didnt get any time to move.

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
Bronzeback said:
A little more....If you aim at the lungs and they drop you have three possible results...Two are bad and one is lucky:

1. Arrow hits above the lungs and below the backbone. This is the "Nothing Zone". Deer bleeds for 80 yards and then the bleeding stops. I cannot tell you how many times this happens per year to many many archery hunters...Deer gets away...BAD.

actually you have 4 results.

# 4. you get a direct hit, arrow penetrates both lungs and you recover the deer FAST.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Bronzeback said:

1. There's no such thing as the "dead zone". You either hit below the spine and hit the lungs, or you hit above the spine and just hit muscle. The latter will result in good blood for a short while, and then it clots up. The deer will be fine. It's not possible to hit below the spine and not hit the lungs. Most people don't realize just how much room there is above the spine on a deer. It's not just and inch or two. On a good sized deer, with all the fur, fat, and muscle, you can have 5 inches above the spine.

2. Lucky yes, but it results in no tracking job. However a quick follow up will be needed.

3. Not really bad at all. Yeah, it stinks you missed, but a clean miss is better than a wounded deer any day. So, actually, that could be viewed as GOOD.

I've never shot a crossbow at a deer, but I have shot a couple different brands at targets. They're definately louder than most compounds. That being said, the best way to go about beating the "string jump" is like others have said. Do your best to quite the bow, try and take shots at calm deer, and aim tight behind the leg, and 1/3 up from the ground. If the deer doesn't move, you hit it in the heart. If it drops, you still get the lungs. Win-Win. I do the same with my compound. It's amazing how fast deer can react. Until they make a bow that can shoot an arrow faster than the speed of sound, deer will always be jumping the string at times.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
bohunr said:
Bronzeback said:

actually you have 4 results.

# 4. you get a direct hit, arrow penetrates both lungs and you recover the deer FAST.
My first Buck with the cross bow was at 40y gentle slope downhill. I was aiming at the center body at the top of the leg, he ducked so low I high liver shot him and he dropped 30y away. That was definatly a lucky shot

·
Registered
222 Posts
[/quote]

That's always the best situation and a given if they don't jump the string, but I did specify..."if you aim at the lungs and they drop".

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
There is a new crossbow silencer system for 2012 that is reported to lower the sound by 38db. I'll be checking them out at the ATA show and getting a set to test. Watch here for the full report. The retail will be around $36

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
Bronzeback said:
That's always the best situation and a given if they don't jump the string, but I did specify..."if you aim at the lungs and they drop". [/quote]

you're right, you did, and i didnt catch it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
arrowhead said:
There is a new crossbow silencer system for 2012 that is reported to lower the sound by 38db. I'll be checking them out at the ATA show and getting a set to test. Watch here for the full report. The retail will be around $36
Please keep me posted and pm me if you can when you get more info

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
turkey4life said:
are the deer looking up at you right before shoot or are they not paying much attention to you?
I would say half the deer were looking at me only because they were moving and I had to stop them. That being said the shot was taken as soon as I yelled,they stopped and I shot, all in a split second. The other half were sort of meandering and browsing and got a good shot while they were relaxed. My buddy had a few misses with a compound because they ducked and the arrow went right over them. I think he has one like that on film. One miss he swears the deer saw the lumenok light and reacted to that . Super fast relexes.

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
dont yell at the deer. Grunt like a deer, they stop.

yelling just puts them on high alert, then when they hear the bow, of course they are going to go "down and out" and head for the next county.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts