The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next Fall I plan to take my 8 year old deer hunting. His bow only has a 25lbs draw so I'm looking for a crossbow for him to use. He weighs about 60lbs and is fairly strong but I'm looking for something he can use comfortably while still legal to hunt with. I've seem the Horton HD125 which is the best option I've found so far....does anyone else have any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Steve, Feel free to give me a call. I'll help you out with choosing a good crossbow. We have some very good crossbows for the young guys. I don't think I would go with the HD 125, for several reasons. It will be marginal for taking deer sized targets. You most likely will be looking for a model that accepts a crank.
There are many things to consider when choosing a crossbow. Will he be hunting out of a treestand or groundblind? What is the maximum range he will be attempting to shoot? How long of a warranty do you want on your crossbow? Is the warranty important? How about customer service? I enjoy talking crossbows, call me if you want. 814-662-4321 Or click the link below.

·
Registered
499 Posts
For my 10 yearold niece I bought her a HD175 and to help her out shooting it I put on a BiPod. With that on she could hold steady as a rock and was very accurite out to 40 yards. If you hunt from a stand the BiPod will just clip off.

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
I'd opt for something with a little more poundage to it like the Horton 150's. While 125 pounds seems like alot of weight, with the short power stroke, the effective range will be limited.

Arrowhead, will answer all of your questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts