The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to crossbow hunting. For those of you that hunt out of treestands. Do you shoot free hand or use some sort of shooting stick on your lap/ platform? I’m mainly talking about loc ons. As ladderstand mainly all have side bars and optional shooting rest.

·
Registered
19,662 Posts
I pretty much prefer to stand and shoot free hand. Since most of my sets are in the timber, I don't like to be sitting with a rest, which limits maneuverability in a dynamic situation. With that said, one must practice offhand to get proficient at it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
A bipod or rest is more potential noise and hassle IMO. My advice, just practice and then practice some more. I know some hunters think you don't need to practice with a crossbow- well, they are wrong. Do yourself and the deer a favor and just practice- no need for bipod.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I use a primos trigger stick , the mono pod . Cabelas sells a base that attaches to the bottom of the trigger stick which sits nicely on the foot platform of your stand , it is very stable .

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I plan on using my bog pod tripod that I bought for elk hunting last year in my new tower stand, It worked well with my rifle, I am not worried much about noise, the floor is carpeted.

Reactions: bohunr and Laylow

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
If i'm in a stand or sitting on the ground I use a knee, I found most of my shots are walking in or standing, I practice those.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There are 12 windows in my stand, I can cover 360 degrees. I can sit in the middle of the stand and shoot any deer that comes in range, it is a 360 tower stand.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a ladder stand with a shooting rest that flips up/down. I tested my set up and found the rest is way to high. I took it off. The stand was a foot rest that I can use to prop up my legs and shoot with a knee rest. The best thing to do is to set up and see what works. You should test everything beforehand so when that 10 point comes by you are ready.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I use ladder stands with a built in shooting rail, but I do have one hang on stand with no built in rest. When I put that stand up I try to pick a double tree so I have something to lean against and stay steady. The other option is benching off the knees, which is pretty much rock solid when also keeping a shoulder pressed against the tree.

Reguardless, you have a tree trunk at your disposal to lean on to some extent, and keeping the elbow on the arm holding the fore end snugged against your body also helps. I'm older and not very steady anymore, but these tricks work for me.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I use the Summit rail to shoot in front. I sit on the rail to shoot behind me.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I quit tree stand hunting with my crossbow because of the chance of smacking the tree with the limbs when shooting behind the stand. Maintaining enough clearance to prevent that from happening drastically reduces my shooting radius. Went back to the vertical bow for stand hunting and am saving the crossbow for blind hunting.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't use a cross bow but my uncle does and he almost got thrown out of his tree. He went to shoot kind of behind him and the limb smacked the tree. Something to really be careful about.... Best of luck to ya....

·
Registered
3,708 Posts

I use ladder stands with a built in shooting rail, but I do have one hang on stand with no built in rest. When I put that stand up I try to pick a double tree so I have something to lean against and stay steady. The other option is benching off the knees, which is pretty much rock solid when also keeping a shoulder pressed against the tree.

Reguardless, you have a tree trunk at your disposal to lean on to some extent, and keeping the elbow on the arm holding the fore end snugged against your body also helps. I'm older and not very steady anymore, but these tricks work for me.
This. My kids use a shooting stick when practicing with the crossbow but when I mess with it, I shoot free hand and keep my left elbow locked into my side (right handed, so my left arm is holding the crossbow). I concentrate on my breathing and I can hold that just as steady as my bow or my rifle shooting free hand. I damaged a couple nocks/fletchings @ 30 yards so I only shoot at different bullseyes now when I do practice with it. I still use my compound for all my hunting though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts