The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father asked me this question. Which has a better resale value, a crossbow or compound? He has owned several Mathews over the years and they all dropped at least 50% value in 2 years. But he is noticing crossbows selling at or slightly below what they bought them for.

He is going to buy a crossbow because of this. Is it true that crossbows really do hold their value that much better than a compound?

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Spur, I think that is true right now...but as the crossbow market and offerings grow it will likely begin to decrease the used value. But the wide scale crossbow offerings are limited enough now that a couple year old crossbows are still go for what i would say is "discounted new" pricing.

Used compound values do stink...that is why i never sold the 3 I have. No real vaule in parting with them in case the kids want them or something, other than making some space. The market has so many brands, models, and new models released annually...that 5 year old bow is really lost its value, let alone a 10 year old one like I have.

My .02

·
Super Moderator
8,063 Posts
Keep in mind that the innovation we see on compounds is just starting to occur on crossbows. Until recently, crossbows weren't worth really researching and developing, since there wasn't any significant market. As more states legalize the use of the crossbow, you're already seeing new models, new developments, and expanded options.

As the trend of "lastest and greatest" develops, you'll see crossbows go the same route as the vertical bows.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Re: Crossbow or Compound - Value

In the end, compound bows and crossbows won't hold the value. It's the nature of old stuff to have less value than new stuff. And they have different markets, which affect them differently.

One should hunt with what one values to use. I wouldn't hunt with a crossbow, even in a legal mixed season, when I could shoot an already shootable, by me, compound bow. Don't dispute some hunters have to use a crossbow, for them, over a compound bow. So it's not all the same for each hunter.

Value is also determined by useable time. I remember I never invested in a bow, because one deer was the PA limit, and I wanted always to hunt the more traditional gun season. And would the value of used bows and crossbows increase if a hunting season for their use, was decreased from four to two weeks. The item wouldn't change, but the hunting season change would affect prices.

I used three hunting rifles, successfully, for over 35 years. I've used two compound bows for use in 15 years.
Cost had little to do with the value to me.
Change a rifle or bow every year, and you'll never get your value, unless you are a full time hunter or professional.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Re: Crossbow or Compound - Value

I just can't wait to see who is going to offer there xbow first, Hoyt or mathews? Although a crossbow with a Hoyt tech riser would look pretty awsome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts