The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to carry the Tenpoint on Saturday up north. Using Spitfire maxx broadheads. Any advice on placing shots on a turkey? Inside 30yds I'm thinking base of the neck if I'm calling and its coming in to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A lot of the archery turkey shots I have seen was in the center of the back. Better percentage shot in my opinion. I would like to hear what other people think as well cause I have been thinking about using my Barnett on turkeys too.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I forget which site I got this picture from, but I found it when I did a search for where to shoot a turkey with a bow (the red rectangle).

I saved it for future reference when and if I ever went after them with a bow (which I will be for the first time this weekend).

Not sure if it is accurate. Maybe someone can verify it...?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was always told that the goal is to take the wings out either by shooting the wings shown by the red square or like said the center of the back will hopefully take out the spine and wings. That is how I have always been told.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yup...wing butt on a broadside shot, middle bottom third of the back for shots facing away. Anchors them hard and tears up the vitals. Then there is also the head shot...

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Yep. Wing butt on broadside birds. Frontal shots, just above base of beard. Back shots, middle of back at mid body.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
So if wearing the required orange you could shoot a deer or turkey,correct?Providing you have needed tags.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Sorry slightly sarcastic,that was my plan too_One place I hunt is loaded with both.My dilema is where to post my son and I.I'm fairly certain we will be sitting near the pond though.Only good source of water near all the food.Both visit it daily.The flock is about 40 or so last week.Only saw two bucks so far but the hunt is for my son.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
diablo666 said:
So if wearing the required orange you could shoot a deer or turkey,correct?Providing you have needed tags.
Hunting turkey you must wear the 250 body and 100 head of orange while moving. Siting and calling must post 100 inches, but don't need to wear anything. Hunting deer just need a hat while moving and noting while sitting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hunting both on Saturday seems to be the plan for alot of folks, including myself
Good luck to all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts