The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to crossbows and I bought a Barnett Quad 400 a few months ago. Finally had the chance to shoot it this morning. I stopped at 32 yards and it was pretty accurate. My only concern is it fairly noisy. Is there any way to address this, or is it something I just need to deal with? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Crossbows are a lot louder than a compound bow. There area few dampening kits that may help to a small degree.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Crossbows ARE louder than vertical bows for sure. Most of the noise you're hearing from modern xbows these days though is more of an almost felt sensation... The bows vibrates like a tuning fork and does recoil a bit. That is translated into perceived noise because your cheek is or should be in firm contact with the stock. You're actually hearing the vibration through the bones in your skull...as far as the deer not hearing it till its almost there though is totally false. Sound travels at 1150,fps. The fastest bolt out there is around 400 fps. More than enough time for a tuned up deer to jump the string on even the fastest xbow. My cyclone is actually pretty quiet compared to a lot of xbows. I have personally stood downrange while someone shot it into a target from 10 yards to as far as 50 with and without the aid of sound amplifying ear muffs. Compared to my father's wicked ridge warrior, my cyclone produces a whisper, but is still quite audible and relatively easy to hear on a quiet evening long before it hits the target.

·
Premium Member
24,167 Posts
This is what I have on my Horton..Bowjax

1 - 7 of 7 Posts