The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok not trying to start anything, just been curious. What are your reasons for hunting with a crossbow instead of using a compound or traditional bow. I have nothing against it. I know some people use it because they can no longer draw back a vertical bow. I just want to know what are some of your reasons.

·
Banned
279 Posts
60 yrs old and 2 torn rotator cuffs

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
78 yrs old, tore rt. rotator cuff twice. I use a crank to set my Parker x bow. I have missed two nice bucks with it - both times I misjudged the distance.

·
Registered
222 Posts
64 years old, nerve damage to arms after heart attack, Did purchase a ladies bow, was fine in back yard but could not draw in blind or stand.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brine. Some of my buddies were bashing on other kids for using them for no reason. I just wanted to see what others had to say

·
Registered
19,563 Posts
I like shooting them and feel more confident I can put it exactly where I want to when the time moment of truth comes. I have archery hunted for close to thirty years and still feel that I am archery hunting when hunting with my crossbow. It is still about getting close, playing the wind, and knowing your yardages.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Started doing more ground hunting - especially up at camp. Xbow gives me better opportunity to shoot undetected from ground while playing the wind. Simple as that.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I don't have a crossbow yet, but planning on getting one before next season. My reason? Cause it's legal and I want one. I (or anybody else for that matter) owe nobody a reason or explanation beyond that.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
quackmaster4 said:
Cause it's legal and I want one.
^^^THIS^^^

And if it causes a bunch of legend-in-their-own-mind, elitist types to cry and whine...well, that's just icing on the cake!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Been hunting deer for over 40 years and IMO Scent,location,stand or a quiet stalk,etc. are the hard part of harvesting a deer, the easy or should I say easier part is the shot. Why not make it a bit easier with the crossbow. Its still hunting

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
pjpaden said:
Ok not trying to start anything, just been curious. What are your reasons for hunting with a crossbow instead of using a compound or traditional bow. I have nothing against it. I know some people use it because they can no longer draw back a vertical bow. I just want to know what are some of your reasons.

·
Premium Member
24,151 Posts
I have tendinitis in my left bicep, I can't even hold a vertical bow in position

I hunted with a vertical bow for over 40 years and I miss hunting and/or shooting one

1 - 20 of 54 Posts