The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious.I have been a archery hunter for almost 30 years.Have most of you given up archery or takin up the X/Bow because of phyically not bein able to draw back a bow?I have heard that this is the main reason for the X/Bows popularity.I too someday get one but right now am happy with my bow.Do any of you trade on and off with both?

·
Super Moderator
24,060 Posts
I gave up bowhunting (vertical bow) a couple of years ago due to shoulder and elbow problems but just recently got a crossbow to hunt with. I hunted over 40 years with the bow.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Just went thru my 42th season (recurve and compound), a shoulder injury made this year a little more challenging, will be purchasing a cross bow for next hunting season as a backup for the times when I am unable to shoot the compound.

·
Registered
18,625 Posts
Personally, I just like to shoot and hunt with them.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I like to hunt with the crossbow and I will still use a compound for certain stands. The compound didn't get hunted this season because I wasn't able to pull it. (sometimes I can and sometimes I can't) I have a history of back and shoulder problems that has kept me out of the game since 1994.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I got one a couple months ago, I just started archery hunting about 3 seasons ago. I killed 3 deer with the compound, and missed some also.
Alot of times I'll hunt in new areas, and some times just have a couple hours after work to hit a new local spot. For me being in a new spot, its easier to throw on the leafy suit, look for some sign and set up on the ground, instead of looking for that "perfect" tree for a climber. And in my eyes a crossbow is easier to hunt from the ground with.
And I just plain think they're an awesome weapon.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
dpms said:
Personally, I just like to shoot and hunt with them.
DItto this...

I never realized it til I got one for my son at 12 and then hunted with them though how PERFECT they are for my hunting property. Our place we hunt is a rectangle, less than 300 yards across and goes for about a mile. In the 5 years of ownership we have taken 17 deer off that land, 8 with a rifle/in-line,8 with a crossbow, and 1 with a compound. And not once have we had to leave our property to recover the deer, NOT ONCE and with yellow signs surrounding us completly that is HUGE to me, just HUGE...Now before guys say well you could do the same with a compound and some practice i will say I doubt it. Considering those crossbow kills were made from hunters 8-43 years old,+ in my experience you give me 8 vert bow kills to track and my guess is at least a couple are going to be over 200 or so yards and pushing the lines. The pinpoint accuracy of the crossbow has really helped eliminate those couple inches this way or that that give a deer just a little longer post shot lifespan than we want up there with <300 yards of width total. Once I realized this, well I now own 3 and am darn proud of it too as it is a deer micro-manager's dream weapon to extend the season and get more close range views before the shot for all hunters.

I know it will someday happen with the crossbows or even the rifle that I will have to go see a neighbor and cross the line (some I already have that agreement with and we are highly respective of it all around), but the only deer to make it off our place on their feet so far have been misses and no shots, I am DARN PROUD of all my hunters for making that happen no matter what they are shooting at them with. DARN PROUD as it also turns a small slice of a great hunting hill into a GREAT PLACE for a families to hunt, without all the troubles of dealing with neighbors you just rather not have to go see during your hunting days there. It is all happening on our turf and that is big to me as the smallest property owner on the hill.

And for that I say...from my cold dead fingers on our Parker crossbows, 8 deer hate ya, 4+ hunters love ya.
For those that hunt real tight spots, where access around you is less than let's say welcoming..I highly recommend them, it is the perfect club to pull out of the golf bag for that situation, not to mention how many hunt days it adds to all members of your hunting gang. Best thing since we sharpened that first stick and threw it at something.

I still have my compound and recurve, but they are not my first choice for knocking a deer down within those parameters and since that is where we hunt 90% of the time now they are getting dusty. Someday on the recurve when I got days on end to fill, but not right now and not up there.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
good ole boy said:
I wonder if X/Bows will eventually dominate sales in archery like inlines have done to f/locks?
All the data says that it won't happen. Compound bows will always be the majority.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
i think they will certainly have a surge in sales as folks add them to the arsenal , but yes the compound will likely not loose its top spot anytime soon. I just don't know how they can improve compounds any more than they already have to resurge their sales with something new that is a "must have".

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I think compounds will see little tweaks that will make them more user friendly. Draw cycles are getting smoother, limb twist is being addressed and vibration is getting alot of attention lately.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I got one because 1. I ground hunt and it's an advantage to have a crossbow, and 2. I'm old.

·
Registered
773 Posts
arrowhead said:
good ole boy said:
I wonder if X/Bows will eventually dominate sales in archery like inlines have done to f/locks?
All the data says that it won't happen. Compound bows will always be the majority.
What data would that be ? New fitted bow average cost approx $ 600.00 and that is very conservative. New XBow fitted $ 400.00. I see the XBow making it's way above the traditional bow in a few years, IMO.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tend to agree cause like I posted earlier,look what happened in the muzzleloader market.Some Co,s dropped f/locks altogether and some like T/C only make a couple.Before the inlines,you had your choice of dozens of factory flinties.Plus with the aging huntin population that is gonna have a bearing on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts