The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a crossbow for my boy to start practicing with. Thinking maybe after season. Any suggestions on a good youth bow. He is 5 now, and will be 6 in june. I will get a rest or some sort of field pod obviously. Im getting him his mentor license this year, but he wont be deer hunting for a while. Just want to build him a good foundation. he loves shooting his bow, but it will be a while before he can get one that will kill a deer.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
If you want a youth crossbow that he can eventually hunt with, I would recommend the Wicked Ridge Ranger by Tenpoint. It is compact for smaller framed shooters but has the punch to take deer within normal archery ranges. The nice feature is the built in Acudraw 50 which is the best rope cocking device on the market, IMO. Great customer service if your should ever need it.

I am sure forum sponsor Arrowhead Outdoors would take care of you. He is a stocking dealer.

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
Most crossbows have a pretty short length of pull that smaller kids can handle.Personally,I'd just take him to a place like dpms suggested and see what fits him the best.It's not hard to find a crossbow that will work for a kid.My kid was never big and it wasn't a problem finding one for him.If you just want something for him to shoot now,Barnett and Parker both have smaller youth models.It seems reviews are mixed with both of them but I know adults who use both of them.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Parker Challenger, or whatever their youth model may now be called. Bought my Daughter a pink one 4 years ago and it's been an awesome bow. Also has two 8 points to its credit!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts