The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I think I might have talked the wife into letting me buy a crossbow for my daughter fox christmas. I don't ever think she will hunt despite my best efforts but she does like to shoot. I am wondering what is an affordable one that she could use. I have one that I bought from a coworker for $40.00 but it is a 150lb pull and I want something she will be able to use by herself. Any suggestions/comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

P.s. I have been looking at something simple like this. Crossbow what do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I would get one that will last for several seasons of shooting and is easy on the servings. One that you can maintain would be a huge bonus. If she enjoys it, she will likely spend alot of time shooting it.

The Excalibur Apex is a 90 lb. target crossbow that will last a lifetime. There is also an Apex Light with a 40 lb. draw weight. Either one would be an excellent choice.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arrowhead,

Just curious would something like the one above I recommended be strong enough for deer hunting? Just tonight my daughter when from "I just want to shoot" to "I think I want to try hunting"

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
In PA the minimum draw weight for a crossbow is 125 lb IIRC.

·
Registered
18,627 Posts
For a crossbow that is gonna be shot alot and maybe used for hunting, I would opt for a Excalibur. Basically, they are bit lighter up front and ultra reliable.

They make several lighter models that are relatively easy to cock with a rope cocker and a cinch with a crank. Look at the Vixen or Axiom. All the power that is needed for hunting and still fun to shoot.

Unfortuantely, once you start talking hunting bows, the prices go up. The Excalibur will serve you both for many, many years.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Yes, the Vixen II would be the best choice for hunting. It's stock is sized for the smaller framed shooters and would likely fit her very well. Very reliable and will last for many, many years. It will also meet the minimum weight for hunting. The Apex wouldn't meet that requirement.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK Now that I have spent a lot of time looking at this, I am realizing I might be beyond my knowledge base. What FPS should I be looking for? I am trying to find something used as I'm not sure if she really is into this or not. I have also been searching ebay and craigslist but there are so many different options I just am not sure what I need/want. Spending $400 on a crossbow isn't in my budget especially since I don't think I will use it. I have a vertical bow that I am in love with.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another option that I failed to mention is I have this crossbow. It has a 150lb pull weight and I just replaced the string and arm. She is very comfortable shooting it by herself, think it is powerful enough to harvest efficiently? I know shot placement is more important than speed, but I want to make sure I'm not limiting myself too much.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Is that a Wham-O ? I haven't seen one in a long time. There was a trigger recall on most of the Wham-O crossbows a few years back. You might want to check it to be sure.

If you keep your range within 20 yards you should be good with that bow in a 150 lb. limb. It won't have the power of the Excalibur because of the length of the powerstroke, but it should get the job done at very close range.

That being said, you might want to invest in a more powerful crossbow to help insure her success. It is a great confidence builder if she can cleanly harvest game and build on that. If she has a marginal hit with the crossbow above it might give her a bad experience.

There are a few options you have if your budget allows for a $299 crossbow. The Barnett Jackyl is getting great reviews. There is the PSE Copperhead and it's improved for this year. I tested the PSE last year to 1250 shots and it kept on going. Both would have a warranty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a Barnett Wild Cat, pretty old model but it still moves pretty good. I have a buddy with a speed tester thingy (I know that is the technical term for it) I might try shooting through it to see what the FPS is. Thanks again for all your help. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
It would be what is now the Panzer V. I have a friend that hunts with one. He keeps his shots under 20 yards and has taken many deer with it. Good Luck to you and your daughter. It should shoot about 245 f.p.s. with a good arrow.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Check out the Horton Team Realtree Ultra Light. Its only 6#s and great for kids.

My son shot a buck this year with the Ultra Light I bought him and he loves it. It shoots great and its easy enough for him to handle on his own.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I've shot both open sights and scoped crossbows. At 20 and 30 yards the difference is not enough that it would matter. I see better with optics because of my eyes and use a scope, but it's more of a matter of checking for small spikes and forks rather than a sighting issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts