The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any one actually does this but if so where can I get some gear? I remember watching my uncle take carp with an old Bear Whitetail compound. Just thought it could be fun with my Horton.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I shot plenty of carp with my recurves of 45, 50, and 55 draw weights, which is plenty power for the rivers, streams, lakes, and fish in these waters.

I could see some major safety issues with a crossbow. I destroyed some arrows with a 45 lb. recurve and had arrows bounce back at me after hitting rocks in the river - can't imagine what a 150 lb or higher crossbolt would be like.

Not for me...

·
Registered
615 Posts
They make a mount that goes under[where quiver mounts ]made by AMS then you can use there system.....muzzy makes the bolts and slides for crossbows....and heads.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy I know what your saying. I was a little concerned about the power. I may just try in a pond with no rocks to see how it works on the fish. If the xbow is too much I'll just HAVE to get a new bow for my reel. I saw a couple of things including the (ams reel) on three rivers site.

If anyone has tried it I'd like to hear about it...thanks

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
I'll be at the dealer show the rest of the weekend. I'll do some asking around. It seems to me that the Excalibur Pixel or Apex at 40 lbs would be just about right for bowfishing. You should be able to hook up an AMS Crossbow retriever mount and be good to go.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
How about the 10 point pro slider? The lowest setting might be good.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
AMS told me the most weight you want to use for crossbow fishing will be the 150 lb bows. As mentioned above the arrows will bounce back and at 150 lbs there are safety issues you will need to consider. Thier arrows are only set up for moon nocks. They also said that the lower power crossbows in the 40 lb range should be just about perfect for bowfishing. They have all the products you will need, and we can get any of them for you.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arrowhead thanks for the legwork. Looks like my setup WILL be too much. Don't see the need to buy an extra xbow just for fishing yet. I'll let you know if I decide to though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts